With extensive gum loss, does an upper All-on-8 temp and/or perm prosthesis have to sit partially on the palate? See Q2 below.

In July I had all of my upper teeth except 2 molars extracted, 6 implants, and a temp prosthesis. My two molars were extracted late Oct. The implants have held but I still have my temp because I now want molars. When I smile you can't tell but without them it is difficult to chew, I bite my inner cheeks or lip often, and I can see a sunken look on my face. 1. Is it common for the temp (or perm) to sit some on the palate and also are there cases where it is near impossible to replace the molars?

Prosthesis

Sorry to hear you are having problemsI would certainly bring this to the attention of your dentist straight away.The temp is not just a temp but should be a preview of the final. Everything has to be resolved in this prosthesis before you go to the final.You can imagine what it would be like if you went straight to the final and were having these issuesThe temp is used to work out the bite, the cosmetics etc etcThe temp should be sitting on the gum but not overlapping it In regards to your question to replace the molars . If you are going back to the second molar there should be implants placed in that regionHope this answered your questions
I wish you success in your journey
Dr J

Not sure which procedure you had?

With the G4 Implant Solution, after extraction and implant placement, the bridge will be sitting on implants only and NOT on the soft tissue. The gum will be completely closed up after surgery therefore there is no socket exposed and no dry socket.. Patients are placed on anti- inflammatory medication prior to surgery, therefore there is no pain or swelling. 9 out of 10 patients do not even take any pain medication after this procedure.

All-on-Four is usually palateless

With an implant supported restoration, the palate can often be avoided, which leads to greater patient satisfaction.  There are alternatives as well, such as a Deutsch Removable Bridge ZRĀ®.  This has the benefit of implant supported but is removable, so keeping things clean is much easier (and it won't stink after 7-10 years).

This also replaces your molars, making chewing much more comfortable.

Partial Coverage of the Palate

It depends on the treatment option that you accept. The hybrid denture sits on the ridge, where as the implants acting as support for the temporary bridge sits partially on the ridge and implant abutment. So to answer your question, these form of treatments will not cover the palate, but an overdenture will. An overdenture is like a regular denture with support from a remaining tooth or abutment implant. This type of prosthesis will always cover the palate. I am really not sure what you have based on your description. Hopefully, what I just mention answered your question.

There are some cases where it can be very difficult to place implants in the molar area, but there are other options to treatment. These treatments can give you the feel as if you do have your back teeth.

James Magee, DDS
Altamonte Springs Dentist