Does everyday contact to the nose increase swelling after Rhinoplasty?

I tend to be a bit clusmy around my face and brush against/poke my nose pretty often. I consciously try not to but it still happens sometimes. Most of the time it doesn't hurt but sometimes there is a little bit of pain. Will this increase swelling or make my overall recovery time longer? I still have pretty significant swelling at 2 months post op but I have thick skin so that's probably a factor.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

Very common question.  At two months, you will still have some residual swelling for sure.  Any incidental contact will prolong the swelling that you currently have, but rest assured, it will continue to go down as your nose heals.  In general, the thicker the skin envelope, the more sensitive it is to swelling post operatively.  Continue to keep your operating doc in the loop as the swelling continues to go down as they may want to make sure that everything is healing appropriately over the next few months.  Best of luck! Enjoy your new nose, and I hope that some of this helps.

Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bumping the nose can cause damage and swelling.  At 2 months post op, you still have a ways to go before seeing the final result.  Try to avoid excess contact with your nose as it is still healing.  Follow up with your surgeon on a routine basis so he can monitor your progress.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Try to avoid contact after Rhinoplasty

Bumping your nose following a Rhinoplasty can cause damage to the new structure if it is bumped fairly hard. The closer this is to your surgery, the more risk. Brushing against it softly shouldn’t be a problem but do your best to avoid it.

Edmund Ek, MBBS
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD