It looks like I have double bubble when I raise my arms.

I am 7 weeks post op and I have noticed that my right breast looks like it has double bubble when I raise my arms above my head. I can see it from the side and the front where the implant is and where my breast tissue is. I can also feel the implant on the bottom. Will this generally correct itself as I drop more or is there anything I can do to fix it?

A photograph would be helpful to answer your question.  However if you have a true double bubble at 7 weeks.  Will unlikely resolve or correct itself.  A true double bubble requires a pocket revision with surgery to reestablish the inframammary crease.  For more information please read the following link:

Breast augmentation

I would recommend scheduling an appointment with your doctor to have a physical examination performed and determination if you have indeed developed a double bubble. If it truly is a double bubble then this will not correct itself, a revision will be needed to correct it. I would recommend waiting until you are at least 3-4 months post op and review your results again then before considering undergoing a revision. Best of luck in your recovery.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Double bubble?

Thank you for your question. Seeing your post-op pictures would be very helpful in determining what is going on, but since those are not available I can just offer some suggestions. Double bubble is when an implant slides below the native inframmary fold creating the appearance of two distinct folds. Right after surgery you can temporarily mimic this by pushing down on the implant. Since you are only 7 weeks out from surgery and the shape of your breast will continually change I suggest wearing your post-op garment to help hold your breasts in place. Sometimes I also use a pec strap that has a component that wraps directly under both breasts which can help support the native inframmary fold. The best thing to do as you heal is follow up with your surgeon and express your concerns and see what they say about you look. Best of luck.

Dr. Basile

Patrick L. Basile, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question.  Unfortunately without a full series of photographs or an in-person examination it is difficult to offer definite advice but at 7 weeks from surgery it would be best to allow your results to mature over the next several months as the overall appearance of the breasts will change dramatically as the implants drop, and the overlying tissue stretches to accommodate the extra volume.  Voice your concerns to your surgeon, they are in the best position to provide reassurance or offer treatment recommendations. 

Best to seek a few in person opinions. But only fat grafts are the easiest option to improve the db effect. 

Double bubble after breast augmentation

It is bit early to evaluate the final appearance. Wait at least 3 months to allow everything to settle enough. Your plastic surgeon needs to examine you to determine if this will be a long term problem. In the meantime you should wear a good supportive bra. A true double bubble usually does not correct itself and revision surgery may be needed to reinforce the bottom of the breast and a smaller implant may be required.

Gustavo E. Galante, MD
Schererville Plastic Surgeon

Potentially double bubble - requires in-person exam

Because it would be hard to tell if you have double bubble without pictures, I think it would help you if I were to describe the clinical signs of a double bubble.

Double-bubble refers to 2 distinct folds underneath the breast where the bottom one is from the implant, and the one higher up is from the natural breast tissue. This happens when the implant chosen is too big, or if there was an improper dissection of the inframammary fold ligament that is attached to the overlying breast tissue. The inframammary fold ligament is like a supportive net under the breast and when this is not released, then the natural breast fold persists above the fold created by the implant. It is also true that the double bubble becomes evident when you lift your arms over your head or when you try to contract your chest muscles.

To correct the double bubble, you may have to place a smaller implant, release the inframammary fold’s connection with the breast tissue, transfer your own body’s fat to camouflage the two fold depression under the breasts, or restore the original breast fold. Unfortunately, it does not correct with time.

Even if you have a problem, you may have to wait a bit more to achieve the final results which happens in 3-6 months. I truly apologize, but nothing can be conclusively said about your breasts without an in-person breast exam and consultation.

It would be in your best interests to continue to have regular follow-ups with your surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing. Their recovery instructions should take precedence over all else you read here as they are better informed about your surgical details. If you are doubtful regarding their advice, you may have a second-opinion.

Martin Jugenburg, MD