How do I know which doctor to go with for my Mommy makeover when they give different opinions?

I've had 2 consultations so far and 2 pretty different opinions on what I need. Doctor A told me that I need a mini lift & lipo around my hips with my tummy tuck. Doctor B thought the implants would give me enough lift that I didn't need that and that I didn't need lipo because all of my excess fat is in the middle and not on my hips. How do I know what procedure is best for me?

How do I know which is best?

Unfortunately there is not a great black and white answer to this question - in plastic surgery there are many 'right' ways to do things. First, be sure you are consulting with board-certified plastic surgeons (by the American Board of Plastic Surgery .. any other wording is not the real thing). Second, assess how *you* feel about the surgeon - it is important to have a surgeon that you feel understands your goals and concerns and is invested in your outcome. You can always obtain a 3rd consultation as well. Unfortunately there is not an easy answer! Good luck!

Thank you very much for your question.

It is not uncommon to have this scenario.  Doctor A seems like they are proposing more surgery for you, and Dr. B is proposing less.  I would start by asking Dr. B what would happen if the implants alone don't achieve the lifting action they expect, and what would happen if you aren't satisfied with your final abdomninal contour and desire abdominal liposuction to thin your problem areas.  You will probably be able to tell a lot from their answer (their approach to your problem, and how they would take care of of you after surgery).  You can almost always do a lift and liposuction following the first procedure if need-be.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

What to do when confronted with different opinions for mommy makeover.

This is not an uncommon problem. After getting several opinions your plastic surgeons should explain to you why there particular approach is different than another. In the end you're going to have to make up your mind which treatment philosophy makes the most sense to you. The most important factor in a surgical outcome is the surgeon you choose.

Mommy make-over - which plan is better

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Getting different opinions can be confusing -
  • Sometimes, two different approaches are fine - because they achieve the same result in different ways.
  • Both agree that you need a tummy tuck. That is a good starting point.
  • Most women needing a tummy tuck, have fat on the sides - pinch your sides and see if you do.
  • If there is no fat there, you won't need liposuction.
  • If your breasts got smaller but your nipples lie at your natural breast crease - you may just need implants.
  • Which surgeon seemed best for you, in your opinion? 
  • Go b ack to the surgeon you prefer, ask her/him to explain why the other approach isn't right for you.
  • If you had no clear preference, consider a 3rd opinion and discuss with that surgeon not only her/his opinion but the others.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Differing Opinions on Mommy Makeover

Hi Kylie. You're experiencing the art of plastic surgery. There are generally several ways to address a plastic surgical issue, most of which circle back to gold standard procedures. First off, ensure you're receiving the opinion of a surgeon who is board certified, or in the process of board certification, by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. It's prudent to check that box first when considering the information you're receiving. Second, ask why. Ask the surgeon to put their rationale into reasonable terms that make sense to you, and why the procedure described is best suited for your anatomy. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, make sure you gel with your plastic surgeon. Make sure he or she is someone that you want to take care of you. Best of luck.

Mommy makeover

It is very difficult for patients when they hear different answers to the same question.  Sometimes, there is no one exact answer for each patient's situation.  You could keep seeing other surgeons for additional consults, and that could be helpful or cloud the picture even more. I would possibly re-visit each doctor, and ask questions as to why each plan is being recommended.  In the end, you should feel completely comfortable with your surgeon and the plan.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover doctor

If you are having trouble deciding which surgeon to pick for your surgery you can try getting another opinion, check and make sure your doctor is board certified, ask to see before and after photos, ask to speak to a previous patient.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

This can be a very difficult process with no easy answer.  Since the procedure is a big investment, go on a few more consultations with experienced plastic surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and be sure to ask for before and after photos.  Choose the surgeon who you feel comfortable with.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

How to Pick Your Mommy Makeover Surgeon

This can be a difficult decision when you get different opinions. After making sure the surgeon is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery, view many before and after pictures of their patients. Ask if you can speak to 2 or 3 patients  that have had a Mommy Makeover. Go online and read posted reviews by their patients. After all of that, trust your instincts and go with the surgeon you feel most comfortable with. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Choosing a surgeon

That is a GREAT question! I am sympathetic toward patients who face this dilemma. Like me deciding which roofer to do the house. Who is trying to help ME and who is trying to help THEMSELVES.

Start by being certain your opinions are coming from plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Is a significant portion of their practice cosmetic and is a reasonable percentage of that "body work"? Look at photos and try to see if any are similar to you in their pre-op photos. Do you like the results?

One thing I encourage patients to avoid is in accepting recommendations that are meant to be "getting away" with less because of fear of scars, cost ,recovery, whatever. In my long and extensive experience, I have found that much more often than not the patient is less than satisfied ultimately with that compromise.

In everyone's mind it would be nice to have a perfect result with no scars, no risk, no recovery and free. But, of course, it does not work that way. In your mind though, you "see" a perfect result so why compromise on the best option to get you closest to that result even if not all the way?

Lastly, solid explanations of why they recommend or don't recommend something is valuable. Even asking them why they DON'T recommend another surgeon's approach.

Good luck!

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD