Completely un-even tummy tuck; revisions? (Photo)

It seems my belly button is off center. It also seems one side has a "dog ear"? What is going on with this and should i ask my doctor about any revisions? I am just under 6 weeks post-op.

Completely un-even tummy tuck; revisions?

Based on your photograph, your concerns are certainly understandable.  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to determining the specific causes of the concerns, including the asymmetry present.  Unless there is an acute complication, it will likely be in your best interests to wait several additional months before undergoing revisionary surgery. Waiting will allow for your abdominal wall to reach its final state  which will allow for accurate assessment and determination of what type of revisionary surgery will be necessary to achieve an optimal outcome.   Best wishes.

Uneven after tummy tuck.

Hello and thank you for your question. Yes you are.  I do think you should bring it up with your ps. 

I would however suggest waiting at least 6 more weeks before doing a revision. 

Personally I would try to even out your scars and substantially lower your incision and centralize your bb.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Early results after TT

There is definitely asymmetry and poor position of BB. You should wait for at least 3 months until swelling goes away and clinical situation  regarding skin redandancy becomes clear. You will most likely need additional skin removal and transposition of BB. You should discuss these issues and options with your surgeon and make appropriate plan for revision. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

I agree - your result is less than acceptable. I would begin by addressing these issues with your Primary Surgeon. If he/she is not a Board Certified PS- I would seek a second opinion from such a Surgeon with extensive experience in Revision Surgery. You may need a revision in order to achieve you best result.

Options for Revisions

Revision surgery is unusual but may be desired for several reasons. Most revisions should be done after 9-12 months.  One cause for revision surgery are “dog ears” at the ends of the incisions. These are small folds of excess skin that do not flatten over time.  They can be excised, suctioned or both. 

Scars may widen or continue to be red and elevated.  These may require laser treatment or injection with kenalog and 5-FU.  Excision and reclosure may help some scars. Other treatments are available as well.

Now, it is best to know that swelling and other healing issues can last for up to 18 months and you may want to allow healing to progress a little longer before you worry too much about a revision. It would be a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area examined and make sure that healing is progressing well. Good luck.

Timing for tummy tuck revison

Generally I ask patients to wait at least 3 months before I will consider any tummy tuck revision.  The lateral dog ears are quite common and almost always disappear in 6 months to a year.  The umbilicus also changes both size and location as the healing process occurs.  Bearing that in mind, I never mind a patient bringing these concerns to my attention at any time.  I usually ask them to be patient, but I would rather have the conversation than have them be concerned.

Samuel Beran, MD