Is Cohesive gel different from "gummy bear"?

I am interested in getting silicone gel implants with my (recommended) lift. My question, is all silicone considered cohesive gel? and is all cohesive gel the same as gummy bear? I am a little confused with the terminology. Any recommendations on which to prefer?

Gummy Bear Breast Implants

More women tend to choose silicone breast implants due to the natural feel and appearance. The new generation of #silicone gel implants are far superior than those used in the past and have a proven track record of safety. They have gone through more testing than any other medical device and now made of a cohesive gel, which are anti-leak even when cut, often called “gummy-bear like”. Cohesive gummy bear like gel material found inside the implant will not migrate into the body if the shell ruptures, which means it is harder to detect a leak. To reinforce a proactive safety approach, the FDA recommends women have periodic MRI testing to ensure their silicone implants are free from any defects.

It depends upon how exacting you desire to be? If you want exact terms than Not all cohesive are Gummy Bear implants but All gummy Bear implants are cohesive gels... 

Implants

They are both silicone.The simplest answer is that the more cohesive gels which are also called the gummy bears are thicker and firmer. The less cohesive gels are also silicone but they are thinner not as viscous and softer

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Cohesive or gummy bear implants.

Thanks for the question.  All silicone implants are made of a cohesive silicone implant material.  The true gummy bear silicone implant is made of the thickest of the current breast implant material.  This material is structured effectively in a Model 410 tear drop shape implant, and has become the most popular style of implant used in the U.S., as well as in the world.  In our practice I use this implant very often, and the patients have come to prefer this over all other styles.  They remain  pleased with the clear and definite advantages.

Good luck to you in making your choice for the future.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Is cohesive gel different from "gummy bear?"

Thank you for your question and I can understand your confusion.  All US silicone implants are filled with cohesive gel.  Gummy bear implants have a slightly thicker gel and is termed highly cohesive.  Both styles are safe and lead to nice results, so selection is largely patient dependent on what feels best to them.  Hope this helps.

Thank you for the question.  All currently FDA approved silicone gel breast implants are “cohesive”.  The “gummy bear” silicone material is a more dense material chemically. The term “gummy bear” has been used, almost as a slang term, to encompass all silicone gel breast implants; thus the confusion.

My best suggestion for patients considering breast augmentation:

1. Do your due diligence carefully in selecting your plastic surgeon.

2. Communicate your goals equally as carefully ( I prefer the use of goal pictures, in bra sizers, and the use of computer imaging).

3. Allow your plastic surgeon to guide you when it comes to the breast implant type/size/profile that will best achieve your goals.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps.

Gummy bear implants

Thank you for your question. I agree, the terminology can be quite confusing! A cohesive gel implant is indeed a silicone implant, that is also known as a gummy bear implant. These implants keep their shape and are a new high strength silicone. All silicone implants are not considered cohesive gel. Popular gummy bear implants include the Natrelle 410 implants, and Sientra implants. In my opinion, these implants are excellent for several reason. I recommend speaking with your plastic surgeon about the various different kinds of implants, and the best one to use for you. Best of luck to you!