Is is okay to not have the so called sternum?(breast wall). I have congenital symmastia and that means I don't have cleavage.

I have congenital symmastia and women that have this is because the sternum never was formed, I'm not uncomfortable nor it hurts or any thing it's normal, but still I'm curious and I want to know if it's okay and will it affect my life like health problems because of this or is it just being different.

Is is okay to not have the so called sternum?(breast wall). I have congenital symmastia and that means I don't have cleavage

NO posted photos, so best to seek only in person opinions from boarded PSs. You may need multiple operations. 

Sternal abnormality

This should not affect your health assuming you have been evaluated for other congenital abnormalities.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Symmastia and sternal deformity

HI
Are you asking if the sternal abnormality if a threat to your safety or whether you can have a breast operation to give you cleavage?
I cant tell you about your sternum as I have not examined you, but I can tell you that I often see sternal deformity in the course of routine breast augmentation. If that is what you would like, you can proceed with a consultation.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation with absence of stermum

Thank you for the question. More information will be needed to answer your question. If you truly have congenital absence of sternum (rather than pectoralis muscle as in Poland syndrome), more imaging evaluation (such as CT or MRI) may need to be done. Good luck.

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question but online consultants will not be your best resource here. I would suggest that you seek in-person consultation with your primary care physician and/or board-certified plastic surgeons in the area. Best wishes.

Am I OK because I developed differently?

Not everyone is the same.  Many people function throughout their life with developmental differences and they are unaware that they have developed differently.  Sometimes it is obvious such as missing a finger, a limb, a breast, or in your case the bone of the chest.  Your questions and concerns should be discussed during a face to face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get the real answers to your questions.  A physical exam and thorough history can help to identify any issues and address any concerns.  Best of luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon