C-section was not removed when tummy tuck was performed, why? (photo)

I specifically asked for c-section to be removed while performing tummy tuck, one of the reasons I had this surgery and apparently I was ignored. Tummy tuck incision was placed higher than requested and c-section was not removed. Never have heard about having a tummy tuck and the c-section not being removed . Does not make sense. What do you think? Got 2nd opinions and was notified that procedure needs to be redone. So much money to get fixed.

IF the surgeon felt he/she could not remove the C-section without leaving you a vertical component to your TT scar, then that is another conversation, as for having both scars, terrible! This can be fixed, clearly by someone other than your original operating surgeon as he/she didnt understand your desires prior to surgery. This may be able to be performed under Local anesthesia in the office, more likely a quick revision in the OR. Seek some consultations with other surgeons and you will be able to get things fixed. 

Yes, I agree the C -section scar could have been removed.  Luckily this can be an easy fix.  Just excising an ellipse of skin to encompass the area between your tummy tuck and Cx scar would correct this.  Sometimes this can be done under local.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

C-section was not removed when tummy tuck was performed, why?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry that your result has not been what you anticipated. In most instances the C-section scar is removed for a tummy tuck procedure and should have been if that was part of your discussion with your surgeon.  The caveat to that is the lower your incision is placed the greater the amount of excess skin needed in order to leave you with only a horizontal scar and not an additional vertical scar from having to close the skin around the original belly button.  I would voice your concerns about your outcome with your surgeon so that they can explain to you the rationale on incision placement.  Hope this hopes.  

C section scar removal with tummy tuck

Hi - commonly we would remove the C section scar at the same time as the tummy tuck but it may be that there was not enough skin laxity to do this or that your surgeon was concerned about the closure being too tight.  It would usually be possible to lower the scar with a second procedure at least 12 months after your original surgery.

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment after tummy tuck surgery.  Although your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to accurate information, it is likely that he/she made an incision higher than her C-section scar because of concerns of blood supply to the abdominal wall flap and potential incision line healing. In other words, your plastic surgeon was likely concerned about excessive tension (and therefore diminished blood flow) to the abdominal wall flap if the C-section scar was utilized for the tummy tuck operation.

Having said that, your concerns regarding placement of the incision/scar are understandable. Usually, if the placement of the incision/scar line remains a concern longer-term, it is possible to lower it;  best to evaluate this concern one year (or longer) after the procedure was performed. If you do decide to lower the scar, you will need to have enough tissue laxity above and below the scar line in order to do so.  Again, it may take one to two years before this can be done safely.  Best wishes.

C-section was not removed

Hello dear, thanks for your post, and provided information and pictures as well!! normally surgeons make the tummy tuck insicion in the same place of the c-section. I recommend to talk with your dr. to know the correct answer of your question, because he knows the best about your procedure!

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy Tuck Revison

Hello Sally,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with your tummy tuck result.  Yes, the C-section scar is commonly removed.  I can only speculate as to why it was not removed as part of your tummy tuck.  My suspicion is that your surgeon may have been weary of having enough skin to get the original belly button location out.  When faced with this situation I recommend that the incision still be placed as low as possible and the original belly button location simply closed as a small vertical incision.  This can still be done with your tummy tuck revision.  In fact, doing so will be needed in order to bring your current tummy tuck scar as low as possible and in the process removing the original C-section scar.

Wish you the best of luck and a quick recovery should you choose to undergo a tummy tuck revision.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD