Burn, pins and needles sensation 4 weeks after breast implants. Is this normal?

I have this constant uncomfortable sensation in both breasts all around them, is this normal after 4 weeks of gel implants?

Breast Implants

Hi Maraissa, thank you for your question. What you are describing sounds like nerve regeneration which is typical after breast augmentation. If you are concerned please follow up directly with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.  

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hello! Thank you for your question! Your symptoms sound like your nerves regenerating, which is normal after any surgical procedure. Breast procedures such as the breast augmentation and breast lift/reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts. With any breast procedure there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. The reported rate of sensation changes (decreased, loss, or increased) is ~7% for lift/reductions and much smaller for breast augmentation. In my experience, this rate is reportedly much lower, but is higher when tissue is excised or the amount of lift that is needed, so the breast reduction procedure has a slightly greater risk. It can take up to a year for full sensation to return. Re-educating your nerves to these areas by using different textures when showering and putting on lotion often helps.  Typically, the symptoms are those in which you describe.  However, you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon for evaluation and to ensure all is healing correctly.  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Needles and pins

This is not unusual after an aug.these are little sensory nerves that are regenerating and this will pass in time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Rare but can happen

While pins and needles or oversensitivity can happen after breast augmentation, in my experience, it resolves.  Give it a couple more months.

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

This is an uncommon posted complication that usually resolves itself in time. I sometimes just under the skin inject NPT solutions to change the pain syndrome. Fees are in the $800 range. 

Burning pins and needles after breast augmentation

Hello and thanks for the question
 What you are experiencing is not uncommon after a breast augmentation at the 4 week mark. Typically, these sensations will gradually diminish over time.

David A. Bottger, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon