Breast Implants: Before or After Giving Birth?

I know breast augmentations no longer affect the ability to nurse your child. But I'm curious as to which one more people prefer. Is it better to wait till after having children to get breast implants or does getting them before not matter? If you get implants before giving birth, will breastfeeding cause the implants to shift around and such? (This is what I've heard and I'm trying to confirm it's truth.) Thank you for your time and answer in advance!

Breast Implants with Lift Following Pregancies

The intentional result of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis) as a result of aging, weight loss, pregnancy, or breastfeeding. However, many women report more satisfaction if an implant is used at the time of #mastopexy. The implants further shape their breasts, restoring superior fullness or volume which may be decreased over time.
In regards to implants alone, this is usually said to be mistake by patients reflecting back at the decision. Most breasts will look larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. At times it's possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result.

A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Therefore, if you experience weight gain, pregnancies, or any other drastic body altering changes, it is very possible the results may be compromised.  Hence, it may be best to delay your procedure(s) involving the areas affected by pregancy, weight gain and nursing until after your final pregancy if at all possible or predictable.Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.

Mommy Makeover - Implants before pregnancy?

Thank you for your question. If you are planning to become pregnant in the next few months, it is probably best to have the augmentation afterward. However, if you don't plan to become pregnant in the near future, I would suggest proceeding with breast augmentation now. Please have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who commonly performs breast augmentation. Ask to see a lot of before and after pictures. Hope this helps.

Breast implants and pregnancy

If you can, it is probably better to wait until after your children to get implants as pregnancy can change the look and shape of your breasts thus altering your results. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Implants before or after kids

Pregnancy and breastfeeding can change the shape and size of your breasts. It is common for women to experience a rapid increase in breast size, then deflation after they stop breastfeeding. This tends to leave the breasts saggier than before. It’s not guaranteed that this will happen, however it is quite common. If you add the weight of the breast implants, the sagging may be worse. For this reason, it’s usually a better idea to wait until after you’ve had kids before considering breast augmentation. However, if you’re not sure whether you’re going to have kids or it’s something you aren’t planning for the near future, then breast augmentation is an option.

Breast implants and pregnancy

While there is no specific reason to delay getting implants until after pregnancy, if you are planning to get pregnant within the next year or two, you may want to consider waiting.  After pregnancy (with or without breat feeding), breasts tend to change shape or size.  This change is somewhat unpredictable, and after pregnancies, you have a good chance of the appearance of your breasts changing.

If you plan to have kids in the future, but this is several years away, there is less concern for the above issue.

Seek a board certified plastic surgeon to get your best information in a consultation.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

If you plan to have children in the near future (less than a year) consider waiting. If you are waiting longer, then it may be worth considering augmentation now.  Breast feeding and pregnancy do not usually cause implants to shift. Instead, breast skin can get stretched and breasts can look deflated. I see a lot of women for breast augmentation revision after having children. Many of them look pretty good and simply want larger implants to restore volume. Some need a lift for a perkier shape. Most are happy they had the extra volume from implants along the way even though they may seek revision after finishing having kids.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  My advice is that if you are planning on having children in the very near future, it would best to hold off.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding can drastically change a woman's body in general and the breasts may need to be revised (such as a breast lift due to deflation and sagging).  However, if you are not planning on having children until further down the road, go for it!

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast implants can be placed before or after childbearing.

There really is no particular reason to delay having a breast augmentation until after childbearing. Many women do so. Clearly pregnancy and subsequent breast-feeding can have effect on the appearance of the breasts with without previous breast augmentation.

Breast implants - before or after the baby

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• If you are planning a family right away, it makes sense to have a breast augmentation after your baby.
  • But if you are just looking ahead - have the breast augmentation now.
  • Breast feeding does not make the implants shift around -
  • But it can change make the breasts larger or smaller afterwards and they may droop -
  • So it is the breasts, not the implants that shift from babies and breast feeding.
  • if this happens a lift or a different sized implant may be needed - but many women have implants before babies and do not need additional surgery afterwards.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Hi,

As a general rule, it is best to hold off on any body contouring procedure until after pregnancy. The effects of pregnancy on a woman's body can be extreme and unpredictable.

Best wishes and kind regards, 

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon