Which Breast Implant would you recommend for a revision; silicone gel or gummy bears?

I had breast lift and augmentation with round saline implants 8 years ago. One implant broke so I will have replacement done. I'm 5.9 hight, 205 lbs, bra size 38-40 DD. I don't know which implants to pick based on safety, longevity and less risk of break, silicone gel or gummy bears. My breast are wide and should I go with round or tear drop medium high profile. I just want to look natural as possible.Thanks

Silicone vs saline

I would go with silicone for sure or gummy bear.Silicone implants are softer and more natural than saline implants so it is a win win.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Should I choose Silicone gel or Gummy Bear Implants

Gummy bear implants are silicone implants.  Most people are confused with the term, which is not a medical term.  There are 2 types of silicone implants, round and shaped.  Round are used in over 90% of silicone breast augmentations.  Shaped implants, slightly firmer gel are mainly for 1st time breast augmentation or reconstructive surgery.  They are not generally recommended for revisionary surgery.

Christopher Costanzo MD, Thousand Oaks, CA. 

Christopher Costanzo, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Silicone Gel or Gummy Bears

• I prefer round implants as there is no chance of them rotating and causing a funny looking result either immediately after surgery or later on.

Howard N. Robinson, MD (retired)

All silicone implants now are cohesive and they feel much better to most patients than saline. After your surgeon examines you he/she can discuss the minor differences between implants.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Without posting photos very hard to advise... At your height & weight I prefer moderate profile + memory gels. Seek a few IN PERSON opinions AND good luck. 

Round or shaped

Round implants are fine for patients with adequate soft tissue volume to cover the implant and less risky in terms of rotation.  I see no need for you to go with a shaped implant.  You should be able to get a natural result with the round implants. 

Without examining you or at least seeing your photos- impossible to give this recommendation.I prefer silicone gel implants- they feel more natural- in my opinion much better product than saline. 
Seek an experienced Board Certified PS and schedule in person consultation

Type of breast implant

There is no single right answer that will fit everyone. A number of factors help a surgeon (and the patient) choose the right shape of the implant, including amount of natural breast tissue, degree of droop etc. Please re-post with a picture if you wish a more individualised suggestion.

Anindya Lahiri, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Which breast implant would you recommend?

This is a very common question asked! :) As far as safety and risk of rupture, there is not a huge difference between silicone implants of the current generation. They all generally tend to have low rupture risk unless there is some serious traumatic impact or severe capsular contracture. And just for clarification, gummy bear implants ARE silicone implants. There are a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and profiles for breast implants. Part of every discussion I have with my breast augmentation patients focuses on choosing the correct implant. This choice is dependent on 2 factors: your goals/expectations and your breast measurements. I typically start with a discussion of expectations--approximate goal cup size & shape/look of the breast. This in conjunction with 3D imaging will help choose a size range and shape of implant (anatomic for a more natural augmentation versus round for a more augmented look with more upper pole fullness). I then take the measurements of the breast & the base width is an important measurement when considering the implant profile & brand. Depending on the approximate implant volume size & base width, the profile of implant is then chosen. Typically a lower profile implant will be wider with less projection. In contrast, a high profile implant (for the same volume) will be narrower with more projection. So, in summary it's important that you schedule consultations with board certified plastic surgeons that are experienced in breast surgery and that will take the time to discuss sizing & implant selection with you before hand. An in person examination & sizing is the only way to get a recommendation for a specific style/shape of implant. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon