Is having a Breast Augmentation in the Doctors own office normal and/or safe?

The doctor I am looking into opened his own office and offer surgery done "in house". I am there fore not paying the extra fees for a hospital or a privately owned surgery center. I am just really nervous because I have never been under iv sedation. The doctor is board certified with a Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist. Should I be worried or is normal to have surgeries in office?

Surgery in office

here in florida, office surgery has to adhere to state standards. Most plastic surgeons do surgery in their own facility. I am sure you checked their reputation. When I built my office surgery center I choose to make it an ambulatory surgery center. We get safety inspection every year. Good luck.

Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Surgery in office

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Vero Beach Plastic Surgeon

Surgery center vs in office

You will likely have the best care if you have your procedure in a fully accredited surgery center. Ask you surgeon about what type of certification his "office" has and find out if you can have it performed at a surgery center.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

Surgery center vs in office

Breast augmentation "in house" or surgery center/hospital?

There is no absolute right or wrong answer to your question. My personal preference is to perform breast augmentation in a fully accredited ambulatory surgery center. With most breast augmentations the implants should be placed beneath the muscle and this may possibly require a deeper anesthetic than IV sedation alone. Also, in extremely rare circumstances, if an emergency issue arises there is certainly more help and expertise available to attend to you within this type of facility. My overall  bias is that an actual free standing  surgery center is the safest environment to receive a breast augmentation. Yes the overall cost is a bit higher due to the additional facility fees, but well worth it! On a final note, you mention that your surgeon is board certified. Be certain he or she is certified only through the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). Best of luck!

Breast augmentation in office?

Hello Ashley and thanks for your question. You have to be very careful, any implant procedure requires special handling with the cleanest enviroment to prevent its contamination. An operating room has these conditions with sterile instruments, special clothing, etc, not an office. You could be paying much more if you have a complication apart from your health risk.

Breast augmentation in office?

Office based surgery - breast augmentation?

This is a very good and very important question. The first and most important item to find out is if your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of plastic surgery? Some surgeons are cosmetic surgeons, oral surgeon, or other types of surgeons performing  plastic surgery. They will not have the proper credentials from the American Society of plastic surgery when you ask them. If the surgeon is board-certified and holds a current active license, then that surgeon must have met minimum requirements to perform surgery at this office based surgery center. The next question is whether an office-based surgery center is as safe as an ambulatory surgery center with a board-certified anesthesiologist? That is debatable, as some office based surgery centers have operated very safely, however, most surgeons not practicing in a state licensed and certified surgery center are doing that for a reason. Cutting costs to save money, by not going throught the strict licensing and safety measures that most surgery centers have to pass in order to become licensed. Please ask these questions prior to undergoing surgery. Hope this helps, Good luck. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. My in house surgical facility is licensed by the Agency Healthcare Administration. In addition I am also licensed by the American Association of Accredidation of Amblitory Surgical Facility. In addition I prefer to have a doctor Anestheliologist provide the anesthesia. My anesthesiologist does not reccomend performing a breast enlargement under IV sedation. It is also important to make sure your surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic surgery. You can go to their website abplasticsurgery, to check if they're a real board certified plastic surgeon. For more information please watch the enclosed video and I hope you find this information helpful.

Breast Augmentation

In the State of Florida- there are certain  written requirements and State inspections that are performed on a regular basis to protect the public. Your Doctor should be able to show you his/her certificate of inspection by the State of Florida. Also, there  are 2-3 other Organizations which guarantee  compliance with the State requirements. IV-sedation is considered Anesthesia of the level 3 designation. Personally, I favor General Anesthesia for most all cosmetic procedures including Breast Augmentation.

In office surgery

Make sure that his/her office is certified by one of a number of organizations such as the state medical board or AAAASF. If they have the appropriate certification, then the OR is "safe" to have surgery performed. As for IV sedation vs true general anesthesia, that is a personal preference of you and your surgeon. Lots of plastic surgeons have office based operating rooms that are very safe.

In office surgery

Ask if the office surgery suite has an inspection certificate, from FL Board of Medicine, AAAASF, AAAS..And be sure the surgeon is boarded by the Am Board of Plastic Surgery, Inc..

I share your concern.  My personal recommendation would be that he'll only have your breast augmentation performed in a hospital operating room for a certified ambulatory surgery center.  Having a significant surgical procedure and a private office  sounds dangerous to me. In addition, submuscular breast augmentation  in my experience  usually requires a general anesthesia.