Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery.

Which is the better method that will reduce infections and speed up the healing process when the Brazilian Butt Lift is performed; drains or no drains to be used?

Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery

Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery is performed slightly differently by different plastic surgeons.  Even by the same plastic surgeon, there may be times when drains are used and times when they are not.  I employ drains mainly in the upper buttock crease incision that was used to liposuction and reduce the excess fat of the lumbar region and flanks.  I feel that this area tends to accumulate fluid after the procedure, so I prefer to usually drain it for the first few days.  It seems like it allows for quicker healing, less swelling and less chance for infection.

Naples Plastic Surgeon

BBL

Some surgeons use drains and others do not. I do not usually use drains. Fluid collections in my opinion occur with devices that produce a lot of heat when performing the liposuction.

BBL

I have not seen any study regarding draining a BBL and if using a drain is of any benefit. However using a drain for a short period does not harm.

As for decreasing the rate of infection, it starts before the surgery instructions to the patient.

Facility needs to be accredited so that they follow standards of care in the U.S. that govern the facility, the sterilization process and the after care of the patient (Not mandated in many foreign countries).

The surgeon's dedication to surgical standards and patient safety.

patients should follow the instruction given by their surgeon for pre-operative and post-operative care and follow up by the surgeon . (Not Dr. Google instructions).

Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery

Hi, thank you foe the question... the infection rates will depend on other factor, such as:

• The condition of the facility
  • Care and method of the fat that will be injected
  • Health condition of the patient, etc

Living or not living a drain have been proven that do not increase or diminish this. 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

BBL ?

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. I recommend you to send your photos to us to five you the advices you need and want about the procedure. Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD