Will it be best to get a bbl before a tummy tuck.

Sometimes, they can be done at the same time.  Sometimes, one is needed before the other to produce a better result or improve the safety.Kenneth Hughes, MDLos Angeles, CA

Tummy tuck and BBL

Thank you for your question. If you are staging these procedures it would be best if you do the BBL first so that you can use more fat taken from the liposuction to inject in you buttocks, then the tummy tuck to get rid of the excess skin in you abdomen and thhighten the abdominal muscles giving you a flat abdomen. These procedures can also be done together. Combination procedures are safe and very effective in the right hands.  The surgeon HAS to be an expert in EACH procedure and must have a lot of experience in performing combination procedures and can minimize the operative time. Combination procedures can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

BBL and Tummy Tuck

Although some plastic surgeons will offer tummy tuck and BBL at the same time, most of us prefer to stage it.   The problem is the logistics of having a procedure done where you cannot sit on the buttock (BBL) at the same time as a procedure where sitting is the most comfortable position (TT).    Not only is it uncomfortable and inconvenient, you could hurt the results.   When deciding whether to do the BBL or TT first, I would take this on a case by case basis.   If you are thin and the fat from the tummy is necessary to get enough volume for the BBL, you will want to do BBL before TT.   If you have enough fat on the back side, do whichever you want done most first.  

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

BBL & Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.   It's better to do the BBL first and then the tummy tuck because we can get more fat to transfer to your hips and buttocks. These procedures can be done together, if your medical evaluation goes well.I hope my answer will help you to your question.

Before undergoing any surgical procedure, please seek a board certified plastic surgeon

Jairo Ulerio, MD

BBL & Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question.I generally stage these procedures simply because you will have to refrain from sitting on your buttocks for at least 2 weeks after a BBL which means you would need to sleep on your stomach, which may not be optimal when just having a tummy tuck. This reduces complications and provides for a more comfortable post-operative recovery. I would recommend having the BBL performed first so you can harvest the fat from the abdomen then during the tummy tuck it will create a nice flat, smooth abdomen.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

BBl before tummy tuck

That is exactly how I like to do it. I prefer to perform the BBl first to harvest as much fat from the abdomen as possible, then stage the tummy tuck at a later time.

BBL & TT

Thank you for your question. You can have a tummy tuck and a BBL performed at the same time. This means only one recovery. You should consult with your board certified surgeon what he/she thinks is best for your personal situation and goals. Hope this helps,Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

Hello fgrace - Thanks for your question. In my educated opinion, it is best to have the BBL performed first for two reasons: you are able to liposuction the maximum amount of fat for the BBL and you can lie on your stomach to let the fat grafts heal to get the best survival.  Once you have healed from the BBL (3-6 months), you can have a proper tummy tuck and get the best overall results.  The downside is that there will be 2 recovery episodes and this may not be possible for most patients.  Consult with a BBL expert in your area for more information. Good luck, Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon