How many average filler procedures must a doctor perform to feel confident you're in good hands?

How to pick the right doctor for filler injections

Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “The only source of knowledge is experience”.Always ask about the experience of the injecting physician and make sure they have all of the "tools" to use, such as all of the various facial fillers that are approved for use in your country. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

How many injections does it take for a physician to be expert

It is a shame it is not that simple, some could do thousands and never learn, some could be expert with hundreds because the critical thing after the knowledge to inject safely is the understanding of aesthetics - that is the artistry of the procedure, and an injector is either an artist or not.  You cannot be taught to be an artist, you are born with that talent.  If not you are a technician.  The best way to know is to see others the doctor has treated - if they look lovely and natural, that's the doctor for you.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

I suggest you research your injector and go to someone who does a significant number of treatments daily.  Someone who does more facial sculpting than line filling. Best, Dr. Emer.

How Many does it Take?

That's a great question!  There have been books written on the subject and I believe 10,000 is the number!  Honestly, it will be quite a challenge to actually find a doctor (or other provider) who has done that many filler injections, but I will give you my opinion on it.  There is the technical knowledge of knowing the facial anatomy and the mechanics of performing a proper injection; knowing what can go wrong and how to prevent and treat that in the rare cases when it happens - that's the easy part to teach and learn.  The more difficult part is the "artistic" side of it.  How to look at a patient and point out how their face changes with age and how to artfully correct it with balance to give a natural look.  I have seen so many people who are over-injected or over-projected (meaning all the fill is placed in the front of the face), sometimes by famous doctors who do thousands of procedures.  My personal preference is to have my patients tell me that all their friends keep complementing them, but aren't sure what the difference is - to me, that is a home-run.  I don't really care what the credentials are of the injector: doctor, nurse, nurse-practitioner, physician's assistant - they are all qualified if they are properly trained and have that artistic 6th sense.  I have seen wonderful and horrible results from every different kind of injector, regardless of the initials after their names.  My advice is:  (1)  Don't get hung up on whether the injector is a nurse , dermatologist, plastic surgeon, or gynecologist (hehe).  (2)  Look at reviews.  (3)  Talk to your friends.  (4) Go for a consult and ask a lot of questions:  Like:  How long have you been doing this?  Have you had any complications? (There is a saying in medicine: "If you haven't had a complication, you probably haven't done very many.")  Most honest providers will tell you if they have and what they did about it.  Then just go with your gut feeling.  If you feel confident that you're in good hands and the consult went well and you like the provider, then most likely, that's your best choice.

Thanks for posting your question. #Dermalfillers are a simple and effective way to improve wrinkles and add volume to the face. While the procedure is quick and without much downtime, there is a learning curve for physicians. The best injectors differentiate themselves from other providers with their knowledge of facial anatomy and the aging process. Let me give you an example. We often see patients from other clinics with persistent #nasolabial folds despite filler treatment. What their injector has not addressed is the volume loss in the malar fat pad (cheek fat pad). Although patients don't come in complaining about this, it is the volume loss that has led to the nasolabial fold getting worse. The real fix is to fill the cheek - not the fold. Again, this takes intimate knowledge of facial anatomy and the aging process. Make sure your injector can show you some nice before and after photos. Good luck, Dr. M

Jared Mallalieu, DO
Annapolis General Surgeon

Injector experience

I have been injecting fillers since 1982 and have trained thousands of doctors around the world and there is more to skill than just numbers.  if a poor job is being done and not corrected by more training it does not make any difference how many injections a doctor has done. the best thing to do is check with your friends who have seen him and get a feel for the results

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Injector Skill Level

Thanks for your question. Dermal filler injection is both technique and artistry. I would say that, in general, a physician injecting for a year or more is likely to do a good job with a hyaluronic acid filler (Restylane, Juvederm, Belotero...) in a basic injection area such as the nasolabial folds (the area from the corner of the nose to the corner of the mouth). More advanced skills are required to do more complex injections such as the lips, the tear troughs, cheek lifts, fine line work, multi syringe injections "liquid facelift" etc...Also, some dermal filler products such as Radiesse, Bellafill and Voluma require more experience. Look for an injector who-is injecting full time- 4 to 6 days a week (not just "on the side" at a salon, a "party", or "one day a week")-has more than a couple of years experience and injects multiple different types/brands of fillers-uses microcannulas-is board certified and a member of one or more aesthetic organizations - this should be listed in their bio/CV on their website
-has before and after photos of their clients/injections for you to review (not just stock images from the companies that produce and sell the filler)
Best,Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

When I have taught filler injection techniques to residents and young practitioners Recommend they first try the injections on family, friends, staff. At least 20 to 50 cases before starting upon the public.