Will my areola size increase after surgery? Is my areola big enough to hide the incision? (Photo0

I am currently unhappy with my nipples. I think the areolas are too small and I want them to grow or stretch with my breast augmentation. Is this common or possible at all? Also will my scars hide ok considering the small size?

Breast augmentation

It is possible that your areolar diameter may increase after implants are placed but no guarantee. I would recommend an incision at the inframammary fold.

Areola size

Your areola size may increase slightly after augmentation, but most likely will not be significant.  You may want to consider selecting an alternative incision site if you are concerned with hiding the incision.  The inframammary fold incision tends to heal nicely and is often barely perceptible over time.

Camille Cash, MD

Breast augmentation, areolar size

I doubt you will have any significant size change in the areola. In fact, given the small size of the areola I would shy away from this approach. Evidence show that the infra mammary incision has the lowest risk of capsular contracture. I am not aware of any less bleeding,bruising or pain from any of the incision options. Best to discuss with your surgeon and determine together what will be best for you. 

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Small nipple diameter

The pressure from the implants should cause your nipple areolar complex to stretch to some degree.  

The most sophisticated approach to breast augmentation is through the armpit with a surgical camera (transaxillary endoscopic). Using this modern approach the space can be crafted under direct vision, with virtually no bleeding and no postoperative bruising. Most importantly, the shape of the breast is meticulously created. The other, older methods of insertion are technologically less advanced. The incision in the crease is the oldest method of placing the implants and puts a scar directly on the breast.  The nipple incision would be difficult for you based on the small diameter.

The best way to determine the size for your personal perception of the perfect breast is to try on sizers. This way you can see how they fit on you, how they add to your current volume, and whether they fit your frame. Although the surgeon can guide you, only you will be able to tell what is the right size. Try on sizers.

Areola size changes with breast augmentation

A breast augmentaton is unlikely to increase the diameter of your areola significantly. I do think a periaeolar scar would be obvious with your skin tone and areola color. 

Jon Kurkjian, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Will my areola size increase after surgery? Is my areola big enough to hide the incision?

As far as I know- only pregnancy will potentially increase your areola size. In my experience, I have been able to successfully use areola of this small size for insertion of breast implants. It can be done. Your nipple inversion can also be improved through this type incision.

With the small circumference of your areolae I doubt they will enlarge with surgery. In fact I suspect the incisions/scars WILL be noticeable. Best to seek in person opinions... 

Small areolae

Even with an augmentation, your areolae will probably not stretch out much.  There is often some stretching of the areolae in most women. Just looking at your photos, you will probably need an incision under the breast. The location of your incision will be determined during the consultation, is based upon what size and type of implant you choose.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon