5 weeks post op. Pain in right breast.

I had my ba 5 weeks ago tomorrow. Since Monday I have been getting a sharp pain in my right breast. It started after work. I was bending down and cleaning a lot (retail store) is it possible I could have cause damage?

If nothing else has changed then it is probably that you have just started doing too much too early and need to be more careful to start back slowly to work etc

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

1 month post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 
In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. 
In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Pain in Right Breast

Hello and thank you for your question.  Most patients are advised to return to full duty without restrictions around 6-8 weeks.  This will depend on how the initial recovery progresses.  It is vital that you follow the instructions given by your surgeon and ease into your activities.  However, it is best to go in for an in-person evaluation and be examined by a board certified plastic surgeon to rule out a hematoma.  Best of luck to you!

Jon Paul Trevisani, MD, FACS
Maitland Plastic Surgeon

Pain in breast 5 weeks postop

It sounds as if you pulled something with your cleaning--a muscle or pulled at the capsule surrounding the breast implant. If the pain persists, notify your surgeon so that they may evaluate you.

MOst likely fine

As far as damage to your implants or results would be difficult to do from most occupations.  If the pain persists, I would contact your surgeon.

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Sharp pain in the right breast after cleaning...

Just pain by itself is not enough to conclude that you damaged your implant. If the pain is intermittent, or if there is no swelling, then there most likely is no problem.  The pain may temporarily be there because you stretched your breasts while cleaning, or because one of the nerves in the right breast was compressed causing hypersensitivity in certain body positions.

As there are many unknowns, it is best for you to have an in-person follow-up with you surgeon to make sure your breasts are healing well without complications.

Please remember that post-operative recovery after surgery is a crucial part of getting the best results, and it should not be rushed nor underestimated. In fact, as a patient, you must diligently follow your surgeon’s instructions and take good care of yourself to ensure your body has sufficient time to heal and look its best.

Normally, it is recommended not to do heavy lifting of greater than 10 lbs for the first 3 weeks. After 2-3 weeks, you should be able to begin your light exercise routine, such as brisk walking, cycling, aerobics and lower-body weight training.

You should work to slowly increase your activity level. This will be dependent on your own perception of how well you feel. Any minute you feel an activity is causing pressure or causing you to feel stretch in your breasts, then stop the activity. Point to note is that you want to avoid using your chest muscles.

If your implants are placed behind the pectoralis major muscle, then you will also have to avoid any exertion or strenuous activity that requires use of the upper body (e.g., chest, arms) for at least 6 weeks. This includes but is not limited to running, push-ups, pull-ups, and weight-lifting. Even when you return to high impact upper-body exercises, many surgeon may advise on the importance of supporting your breasts with snug fitting sports bra.

Hope this helps.

Martin Jugenburg, MD