I'm 46 years young and have had a lot of great changes in the last few years. What implant size should I go for? (Photo)

I had gastric sleeve surgery 3 1/3 years ago and have lost a lot of weight. Along with that and nursing my son years ago, I have lost a lot of volume. I'm currently a 36C looking to enhance to a 36DD. I know I am going to need a lift. Just trying to get some advice. We meet with PS in Miami on Oct 25 and hope to make a decision asap. Please give me your opinion on size of implants.. I was thinking 425-500CC moderate saline.

Right implant size

I congratulate you on taking charge of your life.From the photos it seems that you may have breast ptosis in which case I would recommend a 2 stage procedure ie a lift followed by a breast aug.If you don't want to be too big then you could do it in one stage only if you are not a smoker.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I'm 46 years young and have had a lot of great changes in the last few years. What implant size should I go for?

Hi and thanks for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss and baby. New changes in life are encouraging. IMHO you will,need a traditional anchor type incision with the insertion of breasts implants. I am absolutely partial to smooth silicone gel implants. I would suggest that you not concentrate so much on the eventual cup size but rather on having firm, lifted, and perky breasts following your surgery. Because of the significant weight changes that you have had, your skin has been damaged. It is not expected to have the same elasticity nor tone. Consider that the larger the implant, the more stress placed on the already damaged skin.  Everything that goes up will eventually come down. This is true even more so when large implants are used. 

IMHO I advice the breast lift with 350-375 cc smooth silicone gels, moderate plus profile. 

I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Good luck Dr PG

Breast Implant Size

Congratulations on losing the weight.  Yours is a common question with different answers depending on the patient.  I go with a dimensional approach to breast augmentation and choose an implant that fits both a patient's anatomy and size goals.  When a patient also needs a breast lift, that adds in a whole extra set of variables that need to be addressed.  Various methods can be used to help decide on the right size implant for a particular patient.  I like using a combination of a sizer system and before & after pictures.  I also caution my patients not to get to hung up on a specific cc volume amount, because the same implant can look very different on different patients.  I would recommend consulting with a board-certified plastic surgeon (American Board of Plastic Surgery) to decide on the right plan for you.  Take care.

What implant size should I go for?

Kelly, congrats on your weight loss.  Implant size is very difficult to evaluate with just a picture and not knowing the measurements of various parts of the breast.  A lot depends on what you are trying to achieve in terms of size and result.  Sometimes when you do a lift you need to go with smaller implant because the size and shape will be aided by the implant and your own tissue.  It may also depend on your surgeons aesthetic eye and what he/she considers to be a great result.  You didn't lose the weight overnight so don't rush into surgery without seeing 2 or 3 doctors.  Good luck with your decision, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

This is one of the most frequently asked questions.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 DD and a 36 DD are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon