I'm 3.5 wks post op. I have 450 & 475 cc silicone under muscle. My PS attempted 600cc.Now I have hylersensitivty. What can I do?

I'm 3.5 was post op. I have been having this hypersensitivity pain from my nipple that radiates thru my breast. I feel like my nipple stay hatd. I have a lollipop incision for a breastlift. Narcotics don't help the discomfort. My doctor keep saying he has never encounter a situation like this. I told him I'm not seeking pain meds, I'm having a sunburn sensation on my breast that is difficult to relieve.Clothing rubbing again them makes them so sensitive. It started week 2 of my recovery.

Sounds like you are suffering from neuropathic pain

You may want to speak to your surgeon about considering medication for irritated nerves or a referral to a pain specialist.  I would try Gabapentin medication and see if this helps, if this becomes unbearable. 

I would use ice and maybe a silicone shiled over yopur nipple when you where a bra.I think in time this will go down.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nerve injury

You may have suffered a peripheral nerve injury that is causing the burning sensation in your nipple that radiates across the breast.  This is very rare and even harder for a surgeon to avoid as the nerves.  In this early period, a local anesethesia block can be tried to see if this helps localize the injured nerve as well as definitively diagnose the condition.  For the next 6 months, scar massage, non-opioid analgesics and physical therapy can be tried to see if symptoms improve.  After 6 months, surgery to identify an injured nerve can be attempted.  

Sorry to hear about this issue. It is not uncommon to have a period of hypersensitivity after surgery, but it usually does not last very long. I would advise massaging the affected areas and even placing light prolonged (30 seconds to a minute) pressure on the nipple. This essentially helps to teach the nerves that these are normal sensations and not to over react. If necessary, some medications can be prescribed as well, but usually massage, pressure and time will do the trick. Best.

Zach Barnes, MD
Bakersfield Physician

Hypersensitve nipples

This is rather uncommon, but certainly not rare.  It almost always resolves within a few weeks. To help get through that period of time, sometimes padding the nipples with bandaids to decrease rubbing helps. 

Topical local anesthetics can be prescribed for you by your surgeon. All the best. 

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast lift

Hi nightnurse,
Thanks for submitting your question-- I'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with this setback after surgery.  Some patients can have this temporary increase in sensation in the nipple, but this usually improves dramatically.  Padding the nipples when in a bra, NSAIDs, or a non-narcotic medication such as neurontin can all provide some relief.  Discuss this with your surgeon and keep in close followup with him until this recovers.  Best wishes,
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for the RealSelf inquiry. Sounds very unusual. Best to seek in person second opinions for this nipple pain syndrome...

Nipple hypersensitivity after breast augmentation

I'm very sorry to hear the pain you're having.  Unfortunately nipple hypersensitivity such as you describe can occur following breast augmentation.  It is not uncommon.  Fortunately in all cases I have seen it is not permanent and usually resolves in a few weeks.  Loose clothing, avoiding pressure on the breast, warm soaks and occasionally narcotic medications can provide symptomatic relief.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing. Hypersensitivity of the nipple/areola complexes is not infrequently seen after breast surgery; it sounds as if you may have a relatively severe "case”.  Unfortunately, besides symptomatic relief with medications, there is not much that can be done at this point. Hopefully, as is the case with the vast majority of hypersensitivities, it will resolve itself over the course of the next several weeks/months. The longest period of time I have encountered a nipple/areola hypersensitivity is one year postoperatively. Best wishes.