2 days post op. Why do the look smaller?

I had to change a gauze on my 2 day post lift and exchange implants. They look smaller than before? Is that normal? I thought it was the opposite too big die to swelling and then get smaller?

Breast lift and implant exchange

If you had a lift and implant exchange it may be that you breast have a perkier shape and this may be making them look smaller than before.  Ask your plastic surgeon. 

Smaller

Hi Chanel1,
    Generally speaking, a lift usually will make you smaller.  Not only is some breast tissue usually removed, but the lift itself will appear to make the breasts smaller, as they are now shorter from top to bottom.
Ary Krau MD FACS

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Smaller post lift

Assuming the implants pout in are the same size if a lift was done at the same time then your breasts will be smaller because during a lft you are removing some skin and in some cases quite a bit so this is very normal.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation 2 days post op

I think the problem is that your chest wall curvature is such that your breasts rotate somewhat laterally. Larger implants may improve the projection anteriorly sand make your breasts look bigger. A pre pectoral approach as recommended by your doctor may work, but the new pocket must be constructed so that the nipple is in the center. if too much dissection is performed medially, the nipple position will be more lateral and point in that direction as well.

Howard N. Robinson, MD (retired)

#BreastImplantRevision - 2 days post op. Why do the look smaller?

It's difficult to answer this question without knowing more and, preferably, seeing a photo.  What size were you before, how much tissue was taken out, what size are your new implants, etc., are among the things one would want to know.

In general, a lift (without implants) makes you a little smaller, since tissue (skin and breast tissue) are taken out as part of the lift.  To confuse things further, most women who need a lift wear a larger bra than is accurate for their size, since the skin flattens out across the bottom of the cup (sorry...).  So the lift can wind up making you smaller than you were before.

But that aspect is negated by the implants.  With a lift you can (in theory) have larger implants to more than make up for any decrease in size.

That, however, is where talking to the surgeon comes in, because there's a limit as to how large you can go at the same time as a lift, since going too large increases some of the risks of the procedure, including wound healing problems.

Discuss this with your PS and see what the options might be if you're not satisfied with the size.  It takes, of course, several weeks or even months to see the final result but it's okay to think about, and start the discussion, earlier than that.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of RealSelf100

Smaller?

Without further information, photographs it is difficult to advise you why your implants look smaller. 

It is much too early to tell how your breasts will look.  Please give things some time before you determine how happy you are with the outcome of your surgery.

Best wishes for your recovery.

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

How do you really expect us to respond? No posted photos! Best to see your surgeon today for detailed examination and face to face discussions.