16 yr old saline implants. Could the burning mean infection?

They are still soft and still look great. But now I'm having burning sensations in both of them and I'm constantly ill. Could the burning mean infection? If so, is there a way to confirm infection and treat it without explant?

Go see your Plastic Surgeon

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, you should go see your plastic surgeon. Online consultants are not the appropriate source of information for you; your plastic surgeon should be your resource when it comes to postoperative concerns.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Saline Implants causing Burning Pain

Thank you for your question.   Saline implants rarely get infected 16 years later.  If they rupture, they deflate.  If they build capsular contracture they get hard and tight.    You most likely have nerve pain related to the weight of your implants or from hormone changes or breast cysts.   I would recommend visits with your gynecologist and a plastic surgeon.   All the best.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Burning sensation

Hi, CathyMor.  Infection usually does not manifest as burning sensation.  It may be a nerve pain.. Best to visit  your plastic surgeon to be evaluated in-person.  Best regards.

Breast Implants - Old implants causing pain

I would recommend that you see a plastic surgeon for an examination. It is highly unlikely that they are infected unless you are having other systemic symptoms of infection. You may have a small rupture or early capsular contracture (scar tissue) that is causing new discomfort. 

#PlasticSurgery #Implants #BreastAug #Pain #Oldimplants 

Burning with old implants

As long as you are not running a fever I think there is no infection.It could be sensory nerves trapped in scar tissue from your capsules.See your surgeon to get checked out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Burning

if this is a new change, you need to see your BCPS ASAP, especially if you are constantly sick. you may need a mammogram or ultrasound. if there is fluid, it will need to be tested.

16 yr old implants and new burning in the breasts

Thank you for your question. If this is a new symptom you should be evaluated by your PS or other in person.

Best to seek ONLY in person opinions for this burning new issue with old saline implants. Also concurrent being ill might be related. Seek scan or MRI of your breasts also. I think exchange is indicated...

Changes long after breast augmentation

Any sudden changes after 16 years are concerning. It may be related or unrelated to your implants. Please see your PCP or plastic surgeon for evaluation and imaging. Best of luck. 

Probably not infected

Cathy:  Strange sensations do occasionally present years after the implants were placed.  Are your breasts soft or firm?  If excessive scar tissue forms around the implants this can cause a burning sensation.

They are likely not infected and likely not causing your illnesses.  You should follow up with your Plastic Surgeon if possible.

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon