Anatomical or round? (photo)

I would really appreciate to have opinions on my case. I cant chose between the anatomical and round implants. I absolutely want the results to be NATURAL. I am 5ft7 and 125 pds. My two choices would be 335 g anatomical with 12,5 cm widt full projection (MF) and 330 g round mod plus with 12.25 widt. I dont want the icecream ball on the top and I dont want the nipple to be low. How to make the right choice for me ?

Anatomical or round?

Without an examination it is impossible to give specific advice about the size of the implants, so I will go with the two sizes you are considering.
The main difference between the MF335 and 330 round is with the height of the implant. A round implant that is 12.25cm wide is also 12.25 cm tall. The MF (Moderate height, Full projection) implant that you are considering should be, if I remember right, around 11.4cm tall, or about 1cm shorter than the round.
I would need to know the distance between the top of the sternum and your nipples to be more helpful, but considering that you don't want the 'ice cream ball' look, I would say that anatomical implants will come closer to your expected goal. Good luck!

Italy Plastic Surgeon

Round, under the muscle

Round implants under the muscle (reduces risk of capsular contracture and less interference on mammograms) look very natural, especially with a silicone implant.  The biggest issue with anatomical implants is the risk of rotation which may be as high as 20%.  Anatomical implants are nothing new -- they get reintroduced to the market about every 10yrs or so.  Round implants will never go away and give a great result.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant choice

Thanks for your question and photo.
In recommending implant, I base it on each patient's body (chest width, chest height, breast tissue, overall shape) and her desired look.
Please review before and after photo gallery and share your wish photo with your plastic surgeon.
Based on in-person examination and understanding your goal, your plastic surgeon should guide you to the right implant (size, shape, profile, type).
If you are wanting a NATURAL look, anatomic implant may be a better option.
Best regards.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

Anatomical or round

try to find a plastic surgeon in your area that has the Canfield Vectra 3-D imaging system. Using that system a plastic surgeon can show you on a 3-D photograph of yourself what the different implants will look like. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Round vs shaped gel implants

Every plastic surgeon will have a different opinion when it comes to round vs shaped implants.  I believe that in many cases a shaped implant gives a more natural result but it is certainly not necessary in all cases.  Trust your plastic surgeon to listen to your concerns and make the best choices to give you the result that you desire. 

Anatomical or round?

Fortunately you will get a good result with either implant. Naturalness is more a function of implant size than implant style. For instance if your final breast volume is 50% natural breast tissue and 50% implant, then the breast looks like a bigger version of your natural breast. But it 90% of the final breast volume is implant, then of course the breast looks more like the implant. So keep your volumes lower and the breast will look more natural. This may conflict with your size goals but you get to pick which is more important. Between these implants, both are good. Pick the less expensive one that is softer. The gel. Good luck.

Robert Graper, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical or round?

Moderate profile + round silicone implants are my choice>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Anatomical or round? (photo)

Thank you for the question and picture.  Based on your photograph, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. In my practice, I would likely recommend the use of round silicone gel breast implants placed in the sub muscular (dual plane) position.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example,
I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Anatomical or round?

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Implant Selection

The shape of the implant is only part of the equation to achieve a "natural" tear drop shaped result.  I prefer the dual plane technique to facilitate that shape with round implants.   So the implant placement/pocket, technique, and implant size are very important variables.  It looks like you will likely get a great result from breast augmentation. I think you would benefit from a breast augmentation with a dual plane technique. In terms of picking the right implants to achieve your goals, generally speaking, I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS