Am I a Good Candidate for a Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am 19 years old.5'8.145 pounds.size 36ddd(maybe bigger) .my breasts have been a struggle for as long as i can remember,i dont think theyve ever been small! they are very heavy and have caused me back pain in my lower back and in the area between my shoulder blades, i have shoulder grooves from my bra straps, my shoulders are often sore, i have poor posture, difficulty with clothes and bra shopping(i used to wear 2),and i would like to start becoming more active but feel limited by my breasts.

Breast Reduction Candidate

Yes, from the pictures you have posted, it seems as though you may greatly
benefit from a breast reduction. You will definitely find that it will be much
easier to be more active and mobile after your procedure. I would
recommend that you do the procedure now, at 19 years of age, so as to
relieve yourself of the inevitable back pain and other such symptoms that
you have explained you are already experiencing. For the time being, you
should do research into the most qualified and well-regarded surgeons in
your area and schedule to visit at least two or three of them in person.

Candidate for a BR

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.
See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a breast reduction.

Also known as reduction mammoplasty, this is an operation intended to reduce the size of a woman’s breasts and improve their shape and position. Frequently, the areola (dark skin around the nipple) is also made smaller. Functional symptoms (medical disorders) caused by excessive breast weight may be relieved or improved by this operation.
Women who have large, heavy breasts, which may be the cause of movement difficulties, back, shoulder and neck pain, poor posture, bra-strap indentations and chafing under the breasts will benefit from reduction.
Women with excessive breast size, which may decrease a sense of attractiveness and self-confidence, are candidates.
Large breasts that interfere with normal daily activities or with exercise will be more comfortable when reduced.

Breast Reduction

You would be a great canidite for a breast reduction. A breast reduction will help with your back pain and posture. Exercise and being active will definitely be easier and more enjoyable afterwards.

You are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction

Thank you for your question and for providing the photos. You are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction procedure. You have symptoms of back pain. You are unable to find clothes that fit and your posture is poor. Your photos show you have large heavy breasts with a large amount of sagging ("ptosis").

A breast reduction procedure will decrease the weight of your breasts, which should help with the back pain and posture. Breast reduction surgery also reshapes the breast by putting the breast tissue back up onto the chest as nature intended. This improved breast shape will make buying bras and clothes easier.

Breast reduction surgery is relatively straight forward. Make an appointment to see your friendly local plastic surgeon who can examine you properly and advise you appropriately.

Ultimate Breast Reduction provides internal bra support

Breast reductions are coved by insurance companies based on 2 criteria.  First, you must have symptoms related to the large breasts such as neck, back and shoulder pain or rashes.  Second, you must have the volume removed to meet the requirements of the insurance carrier.  Your photographs show large breasts but certainly not massive breasts that I have seen in other patients.  Your greatest problem is the ptosis or hanging of your breasts.  You would benefit from a lift with minimal reduction.  The biggest complaint after breast reduction surgery is over reduction.  To take you down from a 36 DDD to about a D, would be approximately 400 cc breast reduction.  Often, insurance companies will not cover reductions this small and you may have to pay for it yourself.  I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Reduction.  This technique reshapes your breast, elevates it higher on the chest wall and increases your cleavage.  The other advantage of this technique is the internal bra provides support even if you gain or lose weight in the future.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Breast Reduction

Based on your photos and your description of symptoms, you are definitely a candidate for a breast reduction.

Reducing the size and weight of the breasts will make a huge difference in your posture,  back and shoulder pain. Exercise will become easier and much more enjoyable!

Thank you for your question and photos. Good luck with your future surgery!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD

Breast reduction

I think you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction.You can make your breasts smaller and reshape them as well.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Can Help

Your photos prove that your various discomforts and difficulty with clothes and exercise are surely due to the extremely large size of your breasts, and all of this can be significantly relieved by a breast reduction.  You could be reduced a whatever bra/breast size you desired, and the scars would either be a circular scar around the areola and then straight down to the fold under the breast (the vertical or lollipop technique) or that plus a long, curved scar in the fold under the breast (the inverted T or anchor technique).  The surgery requires general anesthesia, is peformed as an outpatient, and the recovery is not that uncomfortable.  Almost all patients are very satisfied with a breast reduction and so happy to have relief from their symptoms of large breasts.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD

Breast Reduction

Yes.  The result would reduce the size of your breasts, reduce the areola size, and elevate the nipple position.  The scars will be around the areola and vertically down to the inframammary fold.  

Breast reduction?

You are an excellent candidate for breast reduction based on the photos. The operation has an extremely high satisfaction rate and can be a life changer, particularly in regard to the ability to exercise and to stay in shape. See a board certified plastic surgeon who can determine whether your health insurance might cover the operation.