Can insurance cover my breast augmentation?

Hello, I'm concerned about my breast. Ever since I was about 12 years old or should I say when I started puberty my breast have been signicifically uneven. I am 21 years old, and my breast haven't changed. I really am thinking about getting a breast augmentation, but concerned about the financing situation. Is there anyway possible my insurance could cover it?

Asymmetry is natural

I understand how upsetting your breast asymmetry may be. It is very common for asymmetry to exist, and it’s actually the norm because no two breasts are exactly alike.

Insurance doesn’t usually cover breast augmentation for cosmetic purposes. However, there are financing options that allow you to pay for your surgery in instalments of a couple of hundred dollars a month. This makes it easier to cover the cost. 

Insurance coverage for Breast Augmentationon.

Breast augmentation is not a covered benefit by insurance companies. It is only covered for reconstructive patients.

M. Azhar Ali, MD, FACS
Bloomfield Hills Plastic Surgeon

Insurance related breast augmentation

Breast augmentation and insurance participation often do not go hand in hand. Insurance will cover more breast reconstructive procedures but not those to just increase the size of the breast. Some significant asymmetries can be covered by insurance but it is best to seek a Plastic Surgeon for evaluation to see if you would meet these requirments.

Ryan Mitchell, MD, FRCSC
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Breast augmentation is considered a cosmetic procedure and therefore not covered by insurance.  The FDA recommends that patients under the age of 22 years receive only saline implants.  The cost of saline implant augmentation varies throughout the country and from surgeon to surgeon.  Some surgeons, including myself, will give a discount on the surgery if the patient has a clear maldevelopment of one or both breasts.  I recommend consulting with one or more board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options.  Best wishes!

Breast Augmentation

An augmentation is considered a cosmetic procedure and no insurance company will cover this procedure. In your area, an augmentation with saline implants falls in the low $5000 range and with silicone the low $6000 range.

Does insurance cover a breast augmentation?

First of all thank you for the question.  Breast Augmentation is generally considered a cosmetic surgery.  It is typically not a medically necessary procedure.  I would recommend that you discuss your options with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.   

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

In most cases, breast augmentation is considered cosmetic surgery, and is not covered by medical insurance plans.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Insurance

Breast Augmentation is considered a cosmetic procedure. Insurance companies do not cover cosmetic surgery. Majority of women have uneven breast and have cosmetic surgery to correct them.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Payment Options for Cosmetic Surgery

Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, Cosmetic Surgery is not covered by insurance. Many people have breast asymmetries that they wish to correct. Prices for cosmetic surgery range between practitioners and locations. Many Plastic Surgery Clinics will list their general pricing on their websites or can provide you with helpful information when you call them. Many will also offer financing options or work with third party financing companies to help make surgery affordable for you.

I recommend that you seek local, board certified Plastic Surgeons who's work appeals to you and book your consultations. They will be able to provide you with an estimated cost before hand and a specific surgical quote after you meet with your Surgeon.

All the best

Insurance for Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question jobied! In most cases, insurance will not cover a breast augmentation procedure. Typically augmentation is only covered if it is for reconstructive purposes, or necessary to provide symmetry and match a reconstructed breast following breast cancer treatment. Your best bet is to see a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon for a thorough discussion and evaluation. This visit will be helpful in determining your degree of asymmetry, and the best operative approach to correct it. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you!

DWB