I have had 4 c sections. I am 5'1" around 116 lbs and 44 y/o. Will the cool sculpting help with abdomen? (photos)

Above my c section scar is either scar tissue or extra skin that is noticeable under certain clothing and my swim suits. It does not lie flat and almost hangs over. Between work and grad school I don't have the time or money to take care of this. What are my options?? Please help!

Tummy Concerns

Thank you for your question and photo.  Your options for treatment include a tummy tuck, liposuction, liposuction with skin removal and a non-invasive treatment like coolsculpting or sculpsure.  While the non invasive treatments look appealing, they only remove about 20% of the fat at each treatment.  You will likely need between 2 and 6 cylces over a 4 month period.  As you can see, this begins to add up in terms of cost and time for the results you get.  Given that you are on a budget and have limited time to get the results you desire, a short outpatient procedure under local may give you a better result more efficiently and cost-effectively until you can have a tummy tuck.  Best wishes.

I have had 4 c sections. I am 5'1" around 116 lbs and 44 y/o. Will the cool sculpting help with abdomen?

Thank you for your question. Based on your photo, CoolSculpting may not be the best option for you. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns and find an option that fits you best. An in-person assessment is always best.

Regards,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. It looks as if you have numerous stretch marks and lax skin. Coolsculpting will not make an appreciable difference. See a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who can advise you regarding various surgical options. Good luck.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Coolsculpting versus Liposuction/Surgery NYC

It appears from your photo that your main problem is skin laxity.  Since it is not the fat that is the problem but the skin that it is stretched you may need to have a surgical tummy tuck to fix this issue.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting And Results Versus Hi Definiton Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

In my opinion you are not a candidate for non invasive body contouring and will need liposuction with skin removal.  Please see an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

What to do?

Hi.  It looks like the main issue you have is one of skin laxity, following the "wear and tear" of multiple pregnancies.  The best answer would likely be a tummy tuck, rather than coolsculpting.  Best to see a local PS for an in-person consult.

CoolSculpting After C-Section

The best way to know whether CoolSculpting is right for you is to have an in-person consultation and evaluation with an experienced CoolSculpting physician. Looking at your photos, you have a lot of loose skin. While CoolSculpting can reduce the fat by 20-25% with each treatment, it will not treat the degree of loose skin that you have. Combination treatments would probably work best for you. Again, all of this can be determined during an in-person consultation and evaluation. Best of luck to you.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon

Cool sculpt

I wouldn't waste your money on cool sculpt.  You will need an abdominoplasty to  improve the contour of your abdomen.  Wait until you have the time and money, it will be worth it. Jane

Coolscupting is permanent fat reduction with each treatment

I do think that you will get a reduction in the fat above your C-section scar with coolsculpting. An in-person consultation with an expert who does both Coolsculpt and plastic surgery would probably be good to discuss which treatment options are best for you. A tummy tuck, although more invasive, would give you more optimal results, but if you do not need a "home run" result and do not have time for the recovery of a tummy tuck, then optimally performed coolsculpting can give you good results.

I hope this helps!
Dr. Quenby Erickson

CoolSculpting

CoolSculpting can treat this area but it is best to have an in person exam with a plastic surgeon so they can explain all of the alternatives.