How to Remove Flat, Medium Brown Mole on Chest?

I have a mole centered on my chest. It is flat and medium brown in color. What are my Mole removal options? Will products such as Dematend or Wart Mole Vanish work?

Doctor Answers 3


I recommend that you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon for an evaluation of the lesions.  

Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

Evaluation First

Mole should be evaluated by a dermatologist. If the dermatologist determines that it is indeed a mole, then the question comes up what to do about it. Many of us will look at the mole with an instrument called a dermatoscope. The dermatoscope gives an epilumenescent look at the mole. We can peer just below the skin. This allows a better, more accurate observation of the mole than the common eye can afford. We can then determine whether the mole is suspicious enough to warrant its removal.

Based on this knowledge the dermatologist may advise you to have the mole excised. There are principally three options: a shave excision, a punch excision or a regular surgical excision. In a shave the dermatologist will tangentially cut the mole off with a sharp scalpel blade. No sutures required. In the punch biopsy, the dermatologist will use a small cookie-cutter apparatus and twist the mole plug out. One or two fine sutures follow. If the mole is larger a surgical excision will be performed.

I suppose if you had the mole checked out by a dermatologist first to ensure its benign nature you could use one of the products you mentioned. Otherwise, you would are playing with fire.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

True moles (nevi) cannot be removed except by surgery

Some "moles: are actually warty growths called seborrheic keratoses. Dermatologist treat these by freezing or burning them off. True moles (nevi) cannot be removed except by surgery.

Beware: surgery on the chest leaves some of the worst scars of any area on the body, so sometimes it is better to keep the mole, unless your dermatologist is worried about malignancy.

William P. Coleman III, MD
Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon
3.5 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.