Does this mole look suspicious at all? (Photo)

I've noticed one of my moles has changed. It seems to be developing dark patches and I believe it has gotten larger. The photos are low resolution. The first image is a little blurry but it's a closer shot than the 2nd. The mole is about 3mm? and only very slightly raised. It's on my shoulder which is never exposed. I'm 36 and live in Flagstaff, Az. My only hesitation about rushing to a doctor is my deductible. Thank you for any input.

Suspicious looking mole

Any time a mole is changing, it should be carefully evaluated. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for irregular Borders; C for black or uneven Colors; D for Diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove your mole using a "shave" biopsy technique which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Changing moles

Thank you for your question. In my opinion, any changing lesions on the skin should be evaluated by a dermatologist, who can look at the growths with an instrument called a dermatoscope. This scope allows the physician to look at the lesion under higher magnification for any abnormalities, and if any are present, then a biopsy should be performed. I highly recommend you consult with a board certified dermatologist for a full body skin check. Take care and good luck. 

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD