I am 17 days post op from breast Aug with lift. 500cc silicone unders. Should I be concerned? (Photo)

Hello. I am 17 days post op breast aug with lift. 500 cc silicone unders moderate plus. I am high and tight. Feeling good otherwise. Started bruising today and feeling sore BELOW the nipples. I'm hoping this means muscles are stretching due to the implants dropping. Is this correct or should I be concerned about something? I know the pic doesn't show this but thought I would throw it in there anyway. Thoughts?

Healing after an augmentation mastopexy

can be distressing but your surgeon should be guiding you through this process and if your upper poles are too full, should have suggestions on what you can do to help them settle.  If you have textured implants, they are harder to move around after they are positioned.  Bruising and sensations can go all over the place and the only concern I have is changes in your breast size and if you're having any increasing pains with it as it would suggest a hematoma.  Otherwise my patients can resume activities with a good sport bra at 3 weeks post-op.

17 days post op, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

Its too early to talk about results. In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense. In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling. 

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Healing after augmentation mastopexy

Thank you for your question. It is not unusual for assymetric healing after breast augmentation with a lift to occur, especially in the first 4-6 weeks. Differences in the amount of release of breast tissue and muscle can occur even if the implant pocket is equal on both sides. Initial tightness of the chest muscle can keep the implant high, and will gradually fall down and be centered under the breast tissue. Please seek follow up with your surgeon or a board certified plastic surgeon. Thanks for your question and hope this helps.

Evan W Beale, MD

I am 17 days post op from breast Aug with lift. 500cc silicone unders. Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your question.  Your still early in recovery and it takes at least 3 months for the implants to drop into proper position.  However since you have new bruising I would see your plastic surgeon for an examination and diagnosis. For more information please read the link below:

17Days Post Op

Thank you for your photo and question.  From the photo alone I don't see anything alarming, but because you are having new symptoms (pain below the nipples) I suggest that you call and see your surgeon for an in-person exam. 

Best Wishes!

Jamie Moenster, DO
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Because this is a new finding after surgery I recommend you talk to your PS for evaluation.

Thank you for the photo and question but the fest way to evaluate is with an in person examination.  So if you have concerns see your surgeon

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Implants High on Chest wall

Generally speaking, especially early in the post-operative phase of healing, it is not uncommon to have one or both implants appear to be high up by the clavicle. Although the “pocket” may be made correctly, the implant may not have access to the bottom for several reasons. If the overlying muscle or skin is tight, this will move the implant to the path of least resistance which is up and towards the underarm where there is little or no pressure. As the pressure relaxes, the implant will drop down to the bottom. Smooth implants, because their surface is slippery, may move faster downward than a textured implant with its rough surface. Because these variables mentioned above can be different for each side, it's not uncommon that one side will drop faster to the bottom of the pocket than the other. Similarly, sometimes one breast will swell more than the other or be more painful than the other early in the postoperative phase. After the first month or two, usually things will even out. It wouldn't be, in my practice, until four months or so has passed that I would entertain going back to the operating room to “touch up” the location of the breast implant in the pocket. Sometimes specialized bras or straps as well as massage and stretching protocols may be helpful in allowing this process to happen more quickly. Each plastic surgeon will have different thoughts on what the best protocol is for the patient. Your operating plastic surgeon will be your best resource to have this information passed on to you. I recommend that you faithfully follow up and follow the instructions of your chosen plastic surgeon. Congratulations on your surgery, and good luck on an uneventful recovery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

If you feel that there has been a change in your post op course, I would recommend that you contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz