I had a small lipoma removed from back of my neck. Sutures and glue to close .

I still have lump over top of incision. Also have small amount of drainage. Rest of incision is closed.It's been 8 wks. Should I go back to Dr. Have been back twice. Keeps telling me nothing to worry about. It really hurts just to touch it.

Lipoma removal in Los Angeles

I would defer to your surgeon. However, if you believe something is wrong with the recovery, explain your concerns with him. 

Dr. Karamanoukian

Los Angeles

Lump persisting after lipoma removal

The initial healing process is inflammation where the tissue sticks together over minutes to a few days (usually 2-3 days). The next phase of healing is proliferation where the cells knit back together, form new tissue growth and tighten the area up. This occurs over 3 days to two weeks, but can continue for 6-8 weeks. The last part is maturation where the wound stabilizes and strengthens itself with collagen production. This maxes out at roughly 60 days (which is right where you are) and then begins to figure out where remodeling can take place and allow the tissue to soften up and become supple again. This happens at about 2-3 months and continues for a year or more. I would say you are within a normal, but maybe slow, healing timeframe and that the nodularity and tenderness should continue to improve with more time.

#Lipoma - removed from back of neck 8 weeks ago

It's unusual to have this degree of symptoms at 2 months post-op, so you should be seen in person to have this assessed.  You can see your surgeon, one or more additional surgeons for second opinions, or both.  You may just have a couple of sutures that are dissolving slowly and could, at this point, be removed.  Either way, it's hard to assess via this forum.  But since your course is not typical, you should be seen in person by someone near you.  I hope that this helps and good luck.  Dr. Alan Engler, Member of #RealSelf500

Small lipoma removal from back of neck. Sutures and glue to close.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your recovery issues.  After 8 weeks it would be abnormal to have continued drainage from your incision and based on your narrative of a lump and tenderness I would be concerned for an infection or fluid collection.  See you surgeon again to voice your concerns or seek a second opinion for care.  Best wishes. 

Painful post lipoma

I am sorry you are having problems after your lipoma removal. If it is not red, then infection is unlikely despite the ongoing pain. I am slightly concerned about the drainage but if it is clear or yellowish it should dry up with time. This suggests that your wound is not fully healed .Keep the area clean and covered until the wound is completely healed and the drainage stops. It may take a few months for the pain to subside after the wound is healed and the drainage stops. If the drainage is significant, packing the wound  (placing gauze inside the cavity) or placing a drain may facilitate closure and eliminate drainage on your clothing. Give it some more time, but if it continues to be a problem, consider seeking a second opinion with another surgeon. Good luck and take care.