Staphylococcus Infection After Mini Tuck and BBL?

I had 2 procedures a mini tummy tuck/ BBL. I developed a Staph infection. My primary Dr was very upset and explained this is a very serious situation and refuse to give me medical clearance. I was not happy with my results and want to go back for a second round. The Dr is willing to fix the problem for the cost of facility and anesthesia fees. I can't go wrong for the price and can't afford to go anywhere else really. This is a big decision please help. Need advice do I go back? Staph??

Doctor Answers 5

Staph infection after Brazilian Butt LIft

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, an infection can complicate even a perfectly performed surgery by an excellent surgeon.  I would recommend talking to both your primary doctor and your surgeon and seeing if you can come to an agreement.  Good luck.

Staphylococcal Infection after Minitummy Tuck and Brazilian Buttlift

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  A staphylococcal infection after minitummy tuck and Brazilian buttlift, particularly if MRSA is the isolate, should be cleared for several months.  You should have been treated and determined to no longer be a carrier, if applicable.  Then the revision can be performed safely.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Infection after surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You had Staph infection affter your first surgery. To do a revision you need to wait 3-6 months to make sure your infection is completely cleared. Otherwise you will get infected again. Your primary care doctor is right and is protecting you.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Buttock Enhancement , Mini-Tummy Tuck and Infection

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Infections can occur from surgical procedures.  I am not sure you need medical clearance for a revision unless you have MRSA (Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus) and your PS wants the recommendations from an infection disease specialist.  If that is not the case please have an upfront conversation with your PS prior to your revision so that your expectations are known.  I would wait at least 3 months to allow the operated areas to soften and infection to be completely resolved.

Dr. ES

Staph infection and redo surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The important issues here are clearing of the bacteria and waiting an appropriate amount of time prior to revision surgery. Having had an infection in the past is not a contraindication to future surgery. A discussion between your surgeon and the primary care physician sounds warranted.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.