Fixing Facial (Jawline and Cheek) Asymmetry with Radiesse

I have a facial asymmetry. The right side of my face is thinner, whereas the left is wider and steeper. Same with the jaws. I look different from different angles and it bothers me a lot.

Right cheek sagged and looks small, whereas left is still high.. Surgeon recommended Radiesse. I researched the product and saw pictures of complications here. Scared. I am very allergic too. Would you recommend it? Isnt it too early to use Radiesse for a 30 y.o.?

Doctor Answers 11

Radiesse for Facial Asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse is an excellent choice for treatment of facial asymmetry. Allergy testing is not required as allergies are quite rare. You are not too young as I frequently use Radiesse to correct problems in 20 and 30 year olds. Radiesse is actually not a filler but a stimulator of your own collagen which then acts to volumize tissue in a gradual, progressive, and predictable manner. Radiesse is comprised of calcium-based microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. The gel carrier causes immediate correction and is gradually absorbed. Radiesse is the same mineral component found in our bones and teeth. The calcium particles act as a scaffold for new collagen formation around the microspheres. This fixes the particles in place discouraging migration. The unique viscosity and elasticity of Radiesse allow it to be molded to minimize irregularities in contour. Radiesse reportedly lasts 12 to 15 months. A booster injection 3 months after the initial injection will usually prolong the duration of Radiesse for 15 to 18 months.

Since Radiesse is not reversible, it is especially important to remember that the experience and technique of the physician injecting Radiesse is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result.


South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Radiesse or Perlane or Fat Injections for facial volumization

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are an allergic individual it is still doubtful that you will get an allergic reaction to Radiesse, but it is possible.  Lumps are usually related to a physical collection of the material and not an allergic reaction, although an immune reaction granuloma could occur months later.  If you are concerned with this filler despite its safety record, consider fat injections and as it's your material (if there's enough to harvest on you) you wouldn't get an allergic reaction unless it's to the local anesthetic.  You can also consider Perlane, Juvederm UltraPlus or Restylane.  If these products result in a lump they can be dissolved by hyaluronidase.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 39 reviews

Fixing facial assimetry with Radiesse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Facial assymetry is quite common at different degrees. Radiesse can be an excellent filler to treat the asymmetry you are describing. Make sure that the procedure is performed by a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon. Radiesse is an inert calcium salt (Hydroxyappatite); therefore I wouldn't worry about allergy.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist
4.6 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

Facial Asymmetry is both common and correctable #Radiesse #Sculptra

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Facial Asymmetry is both common and correctable. All of us have some degree of facial asymmetry. If it bothers you, then Radiesse is a good choice for correction with immediate results lasting about 12 months. Complications are unusual if you find an experienced injector. An alternative would be Sculptra, which has gradual results lasting up to two years, possibly longer. Sculptra requires multiple treatment (2-3) while Radiesse requires a single treatment. Both would be reasonable options and allergy testing is not typically required for either.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Facial contouring and correction of facial asymmetry- best approach, #liposuction, #beauty, #breastfeedingandcosmeticsurgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Daisy_1981

Thank you for your question. Facial contouring can be acheived with many techniques- using fillers, micro fat grafting, facial implants, liposuction( micro) and sometimes lifting. With the fillers- Radiesse and  Restylane/Perlane will give you an immediate correction (lasting a year or so), Sculptra will result in a correction over several months (lasting 2 to 3 years).... they are all good for facial shaping.  A newer filler is using PRP- platelet rich plasma (using your own blood serum).  Micro fat grafting is a surgical approach and will give more permanent results.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD
Toronto Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 126 reviews

Adjusting facial asymmetry with Radiesse

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse works well as filler plus it stimulates your own collagen production, and is perfectly suitable for evening out the asymmetrical areas of the cheeks and jawlines.

Radiesse does not require allergy testing prior to injections however there are warnings on the product for patients with multiple allergies.

The warnings are as follows:

Radiesse should not be used in patients who have severe allergies marked by a history of anaphylaxis or history or presence of multiple severe allergies.  Radiesse should not be used in patients with known hypersensitivity to any of its components.  Because it’s mixed with a local anesthetic prior to injection, Radiesse should not be used in patients with a history of allergies to lidocaine. Radiesse® should be used in women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.

As far as age is concerned, 30 is not too early if you are trying to correct a particular feature with the procedure.  Ultimately the decision is yours whether to have the injections or not, provided there are no contraindications to Radiesse in the first place.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers for Facial Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Radiesse and Perlane are great fillers for facial augmentation in the cheek, chin and haw areas.  The goal is to  create the proper aesthetically shaped facial features responsible for creating a ruggedly handsome male face in men or a soft, heart-shaped face in woman...not just evening out asymmetries.

Francis R. Palmer, III, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Facial asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

facial asymetry is common, but subtle.

You need a full evaluation by a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON (AMERICAN BOARD OF PLASTIC SURGERY), for evaluation diagnosis and appropriate plan of treatment.

The asymmetry can be soft tissue or boney and can be a combination. therefore aan understanding of the problem and proper diagnosis will help with treatment plans

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

Radiesse and Fat transfer Safe for Most for minor Jawline Asymmetry Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Being an "allergic person" doesn't mean you be allergic to Radiesse, in fact I have never seen this in my practice. A test dose can be given to make sure you are not allergic.

For best results you need to go to an office with extensive experience using this product. In general the deeper the injection within the desired area the safer. Fat transfer is a great alternative (and you can't be allergic to your own fat)


You might try sculptra too

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Daisy, ?Radiesse should work well to correct asymmetry but if you have a large difference in volume from one side to the other you might prefer sculptra as you will get more volume for your cost and it will last longer.  See an experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon and see what they have to say. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.