Correcting Buck Teeth?

I'm a 47 year old with a massive overbite. Every dentist I go to for cleaning says my protruding centrals are the biggest they've seen. It was caused by tongue-thrusting. I'm tired of being ugly as sin. What corrective measures do you suggest?

Doctor Answers 6

Correcting large overbites

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

From the description you offer it sounds like you have the type of problem that braces may handle bettter than Invisalign.  You would be amazed what a dramatic change can be achieved!  A visit to your local orthodontist will reveal which specific approach is best for you.  There are several options that depend on the precise nature of your problem.   And it's true, as Dr Timmerman says, that addressing the tongue thrust is important as well.

Seattle Orthodontist

Protruding Teeth with a Narrow Upper Jaw Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In reading your question, my great sympathy is with you.  It is very important to get the right treatment to be the most effective correction.  Almost without question part of your problem is a narrow upper jaw and a lower jaw that has become trapped behind your upper teeth.  You may even have clicking jaws (TMJ Dysfunction) and a Forward Head Posture resulting in neck and back problems.  Adult Dentofacial Orthopedics (without surgery) can widen your upper jaw and free up your lower jaw to come more forward into a better position.  This can help with any of the problems I listed above and will allow a much better correction of your protruding teeth.  Braces could then be much more effectively used to move the upper teeth back. Good luck with your treatment!

HUGE overbite

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


dont worry! you have many options... I think by overbite you mean the space between your upper teeth and your lower teeth. Depending on how "big " the overbite, you may also want to consider jaw surgery.  If your overbite is due to the lower jaw not growing enough and being too far back, bringing the lower jaw forward with surgery will give you a great result!

Mojdah Akhavan, DDS
San Diego Orthodontist

You have two good options

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would get a consult with an orthodontist and see what your options are. You say your "overbite" is massive. This term is commonly misused  with overjet ( the space between your lower and upper incisors horizontally versus the vertical relationship); thus, it is important to differentiate the two as that could be the difference in what treatment modality is used.

Both Invisalign and braces can treat a larger overjet, but one may be faster and give you a better result as well. This all depends on your clinical exam.

Mazyar Moshiri, DMD, MS
Saint Louis Orthodontist

Braces results last longer if tongue thrust is stopped

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your problem was caused by a tongue issue, this must be resolved. Otherwise the flare will happen again when the braces are removed. If the case is as severe as you state then brackets and wires may give the most predictable result. I suggest a consult with a few providers to decide what you want.

There's always a way to fix buck teeth

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

For self-esteem issues alone I would highly recommend getting either conventional braces and or Invisalign full treatment. Invisalign is really great at pulling teeth back into position like that. If you have very protruded teeth, then the old braces with the brackets might really tear up your upper lip during treatment.

Invisalign might take a little longer, but it would look better and be a kinder way to treat you, even if it takes 18 months of treatment. Think how you'd look without your big overjet (buck teeth).

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Dentist

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.