How can I get this fixed? (photo)

My right cheek has always been bigger than my left cheek. My face looks deformed and this makes me very uncomfortable. I want to be able to smile without one of my eyes closing on me. I have no clue what this could be or why I was born with it. Who will I go to, to get my right cheek checked out? I want my face to be even and not have one side that looks swollen.

Doctor Answers 6

Facial assymetry

  1. You have an inherited problem which needs careful evaluation and treatment by a plastic surgeon experienced in facial maldevelopment. 
  2. Boston Childrens' and Peter Bent Brigham Hospitals have the world leaders for your condition.
  3. If you are not in Boston, see a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon at a medical school and ask his opinion AND ask him to contact  the Brigham/Childrens Plastic Surgeons for their thoughts also before anything is done.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

This is complex issue

You should see someone who specializes in congenital abnormalities.  I would suggest seeing someone in plastic surgery at Children's Hospital in Boston.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 25 reviews

Significant facial assymetry

Hi  MJESABEL ! Everyone is born with one side of their face larger than the other to a lesser or a greater degree. Unfortunately your asymmetry is more than most people have .There is no 100%solution.Only a certain amount of improvement is possible.First you need a special cat scan Xray to see how much of your asymmetry is due to the bones and how much to the muscles and other soft tissues.There is a "buccal fat pad" inside your cheek that can be removed on your right side and there are facial bone implants that can be specially custom designed to build out the left side .These procedures will help in the right direction.The Implantech corporation in Ventura California is one of the major companies that does this type of work and can recommend surgeons who are well qualified to do it.Take your time and carefully research your surgeon before committing yourself. Edward O Terino MD

Edward O. Terino, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon
3.8 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Facial asymmetry

Dear mjesabel,

I suspect that you have facial lipomatosis, an unusual congential deformity.  Depending on your age I would suggest you make an appointment to see someone in the plastic surgery department at Brigham and Womens Hospital or Childrens Hospital Boston.  Good Luck.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 11 reviews

How can I get this fixed?

I recommend ONLY IN PERSON work up to the cause of your facial asymmetry.. Must rule out many genetic, environmental, developmental causes before thinking or even starting to correct the appearance.

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

Facial Asymmetry

The facial asymmetry is definitely there.. Assuming you don't have a mass in the right side of your face, you can consider a buccal fat extraction and possibly a cheek implant on the left. Difficult to say without examining you.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 272 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.