How to fix uneven breasts with minimum amount of surgery? (photo)

I am 21-years-old and ever since I started getting my boobs at age 11, the left one has always been bigger. After I turned 18, I began to look into correcting them. I haven't been able to afford it yet, but I want to know my options. I'd prefer to make the left one smaller and I'm not big on getting implants. What is the realistic amount of surgery I would need to correct this? Note: I realize that they will never be perfectly symmetrical and I'm willing to trade some scarring for even breasts.

A reduction/lift on the larger breast would give you more symmetry.

You really provide the perfect example of having the realistic expectations that I love to see in a patient. It’s definitely possible to reduce the size of your larger breast to bring the volume closer to the smaller. At the same time, it’s likely you’ll need a breast lift as well to reshape the remaining tissue. Yes, there will be some scarring but if you look at long-term results after a breast reduction/lift, you’ll see they become very inconspicuous as time passes. Although your breasts won’t be identical, as you stated, they’ll certainly be much closer to even and I think you could see very nice results.

Breast Asymmetry

If you do not wish implants to help with size asymmetry then a breast lift/reduction on the left will help you achieve your goals.  I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for more information.

Arthur M. Cambeiro, MD

Only one breast requires surgery

Since you are satisfied with the size and shape of the right breast, you only need surgery on the left. I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast ReductionTM. This technique will reshape your breast tissue to match the other side, elevate it higher and more medial to create the symmetry. Volume can be reduced to the size desired. This technique avoids the ugly vertical scar of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed. The cost would be approximately $5,000 and the scar would be hidden in the shadow of the breast.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Best option for uneven breasts

There are several options to correct the uneven breast, if you want to undergo the least amount of surgery then I would recommend a breast reduction and lift on the left breast only. Obviously this is only if you prefer the appearance and size of the right side.  If you want slightly larger breasts then there are a couple of options available. You could have an implant placed in the right breast and a lift on the left side or you could have implants on both sides and a lift and reduction of all the left side.

Usha Rajagopal, MD

How to fix uneven breasts with minimum amount of surgery?

You need IN PERSON opinions to describe a surgical game plan of a few operations to achieve symmetry... 

Breast Asymmetry

Thanks for your question. If you definitely prefer the smaller breast, then it looks like you would need a lift and reduction of the left breast. This will leave some scarring on your breast, but your youth and coloring are in your favor, and your scars should fade significantly. I urge you to consult with at least one board-certified plastic surgeon for this procedure. Be sure that you look at plenty of before-and-after photos of his or her breast lift/reduction work, particularly on women with asymmetrical breasts. Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions, and be sure that you feel 100% comfortable. Good luck to you!

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS

One sided breast lift will correct your asymmetrical breasts

A breast lift on the left side with partial reduction should be able to dramatically improve your asymmetry.  There is no need to enlarge the right breast and less you want it to be Fuller and larger.

Correcting breast asymmetry

You could get closer, but never perfect, with a breast reduction and lift on the one side. You can leave the other alone or put an implant in it.

You need more than a vertical lift scar (also called a lollipop) and actually need a "T scar" because unless you remove lots of extra skin on the big side (not done as much in a vertical), the sizes will never be close.

The answer depends entirely on your goal for a final look and size. If you like the small breast then a lift and reduction of the large side can give you a more even volume but won't look exactly alike. If you like the larger volume it would be a lift of the large side and an augmentation of the small side, but again the look will not be the same, just a similar volume. However the best results for symmetry would require a lift and reduction of the large side followed by enlarging both sides. You would need a consult with an experienced surgeon for details.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for your question. There are a variety of different surgical techniques used to reduce and reshape the female breast. I recommend that you make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your surgical options.