How to Fix Diastasis Recti?

i am 5'7" 125lbs (also have 2 kids) and i have a weird buldge that goes from my sternum almost to my belly button and it sticks out enough that you can notice it under shirts. i have a 4 finger width (easily) between my ab muscles all the way down i was just wondering what could be done about this? the budged up area also bothers me when i am exercising or lifting heavy things.. but any other time it doesnt bother me besides the fact it sticks out.. and even sticks out farther after i eat.

Doctor Answers 9

Some of these large diastasis problems are not surgically correctable

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While a moderate amount of "physiologic diastasis" may be produced by pregnancy, there are certain degress of this that are not easily corrected. Generally speaking, if you have a fairly tense abdominal wall and a substancial diastasis, repair can be difficult with high rates of recurrence and morbidity, irrespective of how it's fixed. Most current literature on abdominal wall surgery would not endorse surgical repair of that type of condition. The types of "loose" diastasis we most commonly see in postpasrtum patients are otherwise amenable to suturing (plication) towards the midline like we commonly do with an abdominoplasty

Tummy wall separation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you're describing diastasis recti, or separation of the abdominal muscles.  The classic fix for this is the tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty.  I would encourage you to do some research on the procedure and meet with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for a personal consultation.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how much improvement you'll enjoy from a tummy tuck!

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Repair of Diastasis Recti?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Your description is classic for separation of the abdominal wall muscles (diastasis recti)  and/or abdominal wall hernia.

It ls it is most likely that you will benefit from tummy tuck surgery. This operation will serve to remove a significant amount  of stretch marks if  present,  remove significant skin and subcutaneous tissue, and “tighten up” abdominal wall muscles.  

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Best wishes.

Blame your Babies!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

What you are describing is most probably what is called a rectus diastasis. It is a separation of the abdominal muscles that occurs in over 90% of woman after pregnancy. No matter how many abdominal crunches you perform this separation will almost never return to normal. 

A Tummy Tuck which involves a repair of this muscle separation will restore your pre-baby abdominal appearance. I encourage you to seek out a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your condition and confirm that a tummy tuck is what you need.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Tummy Tuck to the rescue...

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You are classically describing a separation of your abdominal wall muscles - also known as a rectus diastasis.  A tummy tuck (also called abdominoplasty) is a very popular cosmetic surgery procedure. A tummy tuck can be an effective tool for shaping and sculpting the body for better body appearance and improved self esteem.


Sometimes no amount of diet and exercise can create a flat tummy.  Tummy tuck plastic surgery actually tightens abdominal muscles (ie your rectus diastasis) and removes excess fat and skin from the stomach area to create a tighter, slimmer, smoother belly. A tummy tuck can be combined with other procedures such as liposuction of your waists or flanks (i.e. love handles) to fine tune your result

I recommend you visit with an ASPS member plastic surgeon to further explore your options and to find out if you are a candidate for this procedure.

Best of luck
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Diastasis or hernia

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It sounds like you have either a significant rectus diastasis, or perhaps a ventral hernia.  Either way, it can be repaired with surgery.  An in-person consultation will help to sort out your diagnosis & best treatment options.

All the best!

How to Fix Diastasis Recti?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

it sounds  like you have  un upper herniae by diastasis rectus, you are in good shape, i council to go to a certified plastic surgeon to do repair trough a TT

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Bulging rectus diastasis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your description sounds like a very significant diastasis, bordering on a ventral hernia.  In either case I would certainly recommend repair.  Consult with a local Board certified plastic surgeon concerning this problem.  This person should have years of experience dealing with a problem like yours.

Michael Leff, MD (retired)
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Bulgy stomach muscles - Diastasis recti

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have a diastatis recti.  No worries, it means separation of the core abdomen muscles.

It is common after pregnancy which stretches these muscles apart.

Exercise will rarely correct this but try 10 crunches every evening x 14 days.

If no improvement or crunches hurt too much to do - consider surgery. It sews the muscle edges back together. It should restore your abdominal shape and will often improve posture and relieve the sway back and back pain caused by weakened muscles. It can be done alone or as part of a 

tummy tuck. Keep up the exercise, enjoy your children and see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.


These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.