Can you use neck fat for a fat transfer to tear troughs?

When I read about fat transfer to the face, articles usually say, that the fat is harvested from the abdomen. I want to have a fat transfer to the tear troughs, to fix the small amount of hollowness I have there after a transconjunctival blepharoplasty. I'm also interested in getting a little neck liposuction at the same time. Is there some specific benefit to using fat from the abdomen, or can you just use the neck-fat? Is abdomen-fat somehow different? Better able to survive the transfer?

Fat grafting from neck

Most likely there will not be enough fat in the neck area to process and then transfer to the lower lid area.  But check with your surgeon.

Good luck, Dr. Luong

Edina Plastic Surgeon

YOu can use whatever fat you can find for the tear troughs. I's usually 2-3 cc per side.

you don't need a lot there, the tear troughs are a high complication area and I personally think that most people are better served with an HA filler which typically lasts 2-4 years. .  Fat problems there are difficult to fix

Val Lambros, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer

Thank you for posting your question. Fat transfer procedure usually puts in more fat to the desired areas because on average half of the fat will be reabsorbed. Therefore, even though tear troughs seem like a small area, your doctor will still need a good amount of fat for the procedure. For most people, abdomen is the area with enough excess fat. There is no difference between fat from your neck or abdomen, but you may not get enough fat from neck lipo alone. I recommend meeting with an experienced physician for in-person consultation. Best of luck.

Jan Zemplenyi, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon