How to Find Someone Who Specializes in Rhinoplasty

Many have said if your wanting to have rhinoplasty its best to look for someone who specializes in it ... My problem is actually FINDING someone. Ive looked through tons of doctors already and finding someone who specializes in rhinoplasty is like finding a needle in a hay stack as they say! Any recommendations on a specific doctor(s) or ways to find someone would really be appreciated!

Finding a rhinoplasty expert

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it should be.  Many websites suggest expertise in everything which is not possible.  I would look for websites that have more content devoted to nasal surgery as a starting point. I would look for a minimum of at least 5 pictures of rhinoplasty on their website.  I would seek surgeons that have combined training in ear, nose, and throat with either plastic surgery or facial plastic surgery training.

Rhinoplasty specialist for you

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years and I do understand and appreciate your dilema.  Use the internet and search websites of plastic and cosmetic surgeons to see what they (the surgeons not a marketing firm) write about Rhinoplasty and the aesthetics of what a Rhinoplasty should achieve.  Then pay for a few consultations with these surgeons and listen to what they tell you will make your nose more attractive.  Don't be surprised at the different opinions that you may receive as this is the art of medicine and plastic surgery.  Once you've had these consultations you will have learned about your nose and what will make it more attractive through Rhinoplasty and then you can choose which surgeons fits your specific needs.

I understand that this process is time consuming and that it would be nice for someone (like us on this forum) to tell you, "go see so and so" and it would be done, however this is a disservice to you, the patient, as you need to go through the discovery journey of learning about Rhinoplasty and how it can be applied to your particular case.  A referral to a single source would not allow that to happen, nor would any of us here be able to assess your needs personally....only you can do that.

Rhinoplasty experienced surgeon

This is an excellent question.  The patient word of mouth is a valuable source.  Did they have a good experience as well as a result that they were pleased with.  The Plastic and Reconstructive Society will have a list of surgeons that specialize in rhinoplasty, as well as their rating.  The surgeons pre and post operative photos will let you know of their aesthetic eye.  Also some Dr.s offer imaging showing the patient the changes they feel can be accomplished.  Good luck to you.

How to find a rhinoplasty specialist

Training and experience matter. Despite specialty affiliations, only a few physicians truly dedicate themselves to rhinoplasty surgery. One of the biggest challenges is to find a facial plastic / plastic surgeon who understands and preserves the airway function during rhinoplasty surgery. Nasal obstruction after rhinoplasty surgery can be a crippling complication. Definitely speak to several surgeons before making your decision. Good luck, 

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD

Grigoriy Mashkevich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Look at The Rhinoplasty Society site

Another resource is the web site of The Rhinoplasty Society, a group of plastic, facial plastic, and otolaryngologic surgeons dedicated to the operation. Society members must perform a certain volume of cases and educate each other.   Many of the teachers are members.  Just another place to look.

Also, check web sites for results that you like.  Make sure that you like and trust the surgeon.  Good luck.

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Finding a Rhinoplasty specialist.

I have been doing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty for 35 years. However, I tell my consultation patients if you like the noses of a different experienced rhinoplasty surgeon go to him! You will have his idea of what a good nose looks like and the two of you should like the same kind of nose. My patients like natural noses while some go to a friend who makes a more turned up nose.

Look at many before and after photos of the doctor on his website of office. If 80% of these are what you like then your chances of getting a good result is 80%. Of course board certification is important, but diplomas do not tranlate into excellent outcome.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO

If you want an eperienced plastic surgeon call the American Society of Plasic Surgeons  or  the American Academy of facial  reconstructive surgery ( E.N.T. doctors) and ask for the ones in your area who specialize in rhinoplasty.

Erel Laufer, MD
Dunedin Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right Rhinoplasty Specialist

It is very difficult to find someone who is a rhinoplasty specialist. Making matters even harder is that anyone can call themself a rhinoplasty specialist when in fact this may be far from the truth.

A good starting point is finding a board certified facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon. The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery website and the American Board of Plastic Surgery website would show you these surgeons by region.

Just because they're board certified to do rhinoplasty doesn't mean that they have any particular interest or sub-specialization in that procedure. You can often get a feel for a surgeon's interest and experience in doing rhinoplasty by reviewing their website. Read the section(s) about rhinoplasty. Review the before and after photos. Are there many photos to see? Even if there are a lot of photos, do you like the results? How long after surgery are the after photos (does it even say)? Ideally, you want to see after results that are at least a year out from surgery. Its not very helpful to see results from just a couple weeks after surgery when the swelling may hide less than good results.

Consult with a few possible surgeons to discuss your options. Find out how many surgeries they've done. See if you have a good rapport with the surgeon and trust them to do your surgery.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Great question. If you live in a small town there may not be someone specializing in rhinoplasty, so you may have to travel to a bigger city.

You can search through Google for rhinoplasty specialist on that particular city. Look at the Dr's websites and get a fell for the type of procedures they offer. Do they offer mainly facial surgery, full body plastics, both???

Usually rhinoplasty specialist will concentrate only on the face, and the sense that you get from their website is that they specialize in that particular procedure.

See several Dr's and interview them, look at their before and after pictures, find out how many rhinoplasties he/she performs, talk to them about how would they approach your particular nose, and trust your instincts. You will get a feeling about how specialize the Dr is for that particular procedure.

Michel Siegel, MD

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon