How do I find the specialized doctor I need for eyelid ptosis?

I posted a question about eyelid ptosis correction and got a really great and detailed answer from Dr. Steinsapir. The thing that is disheartening is the fact that he told me the operation I probably need is an extremely difficult one not to be entrusted to anyone but the most experienced surgeon. How should I go about finding this "handful" among the many many,occularplastic surgeons in the US? I have no idea what to look for or how to begin searching for the right doctor. I have already been through 2 operations and I don't want to have anymore than 1 more done on my eyelids in my lifetime. heres the link to my question.

Doctor Answers 6

Eyelid specialist for difficult revisions

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
I would recommend Dr. Clint (Sonny) McCord in Atlanta. He has written textbooks on eyelid surgery and is a referral surgeon for many other surgeons. Best wishes.

Ptosis surgery should be done by an oculoplastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Ptosis surgery should be done by an oculoplastic surgeon, particularly if you’ve had previous surgery on the eyelid.  In most geographical areas, there are oculoplastic surgeons.  These are doctors who are specifically trained in ophthalmology and have done fellowships in plastic surgery.  Someone without the proper training doesn’t know the delicate structures of the eyelids. 

Consult with 2 - 3 doctors to compare

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Do a google search for occuloplastic surgeons in your hometown.  read their websites and specifically their approach to treating eyelid ptosis.  Choose the one(s) you like and pay for 2-3 consultations.  You should have a better idea after the consultations and be able to choose.

The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery has a website.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
ASOPRS (American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery maintains a website ( This site has a geographic reference that will help you identify a well qualified eyelid surgeon. However this may or may not put you in the hands of someone who can address you ptosis and the upper eyelid fold issues. However it is very reasonable to stay local for you initial assessment before trying to find a specialist that you have to travel to. Please don't get discouraged, but do keep your eyes open when looking for actual help for this.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Finding the right surgeon for ptosis

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can find a certified oculoplastic surgeon by searching the database found on the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery - there is a link to "Find a doctor".  From there you can search and find the one closest to you. Good luck!

Keshini Parbhu, MD
Orlando Oculoplastic Surgeon

Finding an Eyelid Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


I recommend that you have a consultation with several members of the American Society of Opthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  They can be found on the ASOPRS website.  Ask these doctors how much experience they have with your problem and ask them to show you before and after photographs of surgeries they have done for people with similar problems.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.