How Do I Find a Doctor Who Specializes in Formerly Obese People? (photo)

Hi I have more than the normal hanging skin on my arms and want to find someone who works more on formerly obese people verses someone who has aged and has a bit of under hang. How can I find them in FL? Thank you!

Doctor Answers 10

Real Self Is Good Source for Physicians Specializing in Post Weight Loss Patients!

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

To Whom It May Concern:

Congratulations on your weight loss.  I can tell from your pictures that you need a brachioplasty.  To find a doctor that specializes in weight loss patients, I would use physician’s directory.  There is an extensive list of doctors who specialize in this area and who can be stratified by geography.  Two other very good sources of doctors include and Weight Loss Surgery Foundation of America.  These organizations list doctors who specialize in reconstructive surgery after massive weight loss.

Congratulations again on your weight loss.  Good luck in completing your weight loss journey.


Thank you,

J. Timothy Katzen, MD, FACS

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The number of patients undergoing massive weight loss surgery has grown significantly in the last ten years. For this reason, a large number of plastic surgeons have gained experience in this area. As a result, the majority of plastic surgeons are comfortable performing procedures in this category.

It's important to choose a plastic surgeon who's board certified and has experience performing this type of procedure. This surgeon should be someone who's easy to communicate with so you're able to develop a comfort level. When selecting a plastic surgeon, don't hesitate to have multiple consults. Always remember that your choice of plastic surgeon is the most important decision that you will make. 

Finding the Right Surgeon for You

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

When choosing a surgeon it is important to find one who has experience in the procedure that you are interested in. Be sure to ask your surgeon questions (be direct) and it is always a good idea to ask to see before and after photos. It goes without saying that the surgeon you pick must be board certified. It is also important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and his or her staff as it is usually the support staff whom you will be interacting with most often. In my practice we have the ability to offer patients the opportunity to speak with another patient who previously had the same procedure, a patient advocate. This helps prepare the prospective patient for what to expect with the procedure and the healing experience. Talking to those who have already experienced surgery is one of the best ways to pick a surgeon.

Finding a Surgeon who Specializes in Post-Weight Loss Patients

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.

You need to do your research, choose a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (not cosmetic surgery) and a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. 

From here, you know you are selecting from qualified surgeons.  You need to meet with the surgeon, see many examples of their work and talk to patients about their experience with the surgeon and the staff.  If there is a way to speak to and meet patients who have undergone a similar procedure, that is usually very useful.

This is a big decision - good luck!

Brachioplasty after weightloss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

A great starting point would be the ASPS ( or ASAPS ( websites.  This would provide a good "long list" of surgeons in your area.  From there, I would look to patient forums, friends, and physician referrals. Take your time.

Weight loss reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Most plastic surgeons are quite facile with treating weight loss patients as this has become very popular over the past 10-15 years.  you can start at the American Society of Plastic Surgeons or the Aesthetic Society websites and locate someone in your area.

Finding a Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Magsupply,

There are two great sites look at; the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery at and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons at  Both have great physician locator services that can help you find the plastic surgeon to meet your needs.  Please go to both sites and best of luck.

Plastic surgeon recommendations for the formerly obese

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are a lot of good plastic surgeons in Florida.  Unfortunately most do not specialize in post extreme weight loss patients.  Remember that experience makes a big difference when it comes to post baratric surgery or extreme weight loss rehab. Ask the board certified plastic surgeon how many of these procedure do they do in a year. If they are doing less then 25-50 keep looking.  Also ask to see their work and get some patient referals.


Good luck and thank you for the question.



Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS
Miami Plastic Surgeon

Body contouring after massive weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It can be hard to find a surgeon experienced or interested in body contouring after weight loss. There is a physician locator that can help you on the American Society of Plastic Surgeons website.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Body contouring after weight loss

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would recommend you consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs body contouring after weight loss.   A great place to start to find someone in your area is the website for the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.   Use their doctor finder tool.  Best of luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.