What Other Fillers Are Appropriate if I Am Uncomfortable with Sculptra (Due to Possible Complications) for Sunken/uneven Cheeks?

i have very low body fat and would like rounder cheeks. i don't want cheek implants too, only fillers. thank you!

Doctor Answers 9

Injectable fillers for cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many fillers that can be used in the cheek area. Sculptra has been very popular due to the fact that it may last two years or longer, and when injected deeply, has a very low incidence of side effects. Voluma is a new FDA approved filler for the midface (cheeks) that lasts 2 years and is fully reversible.

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Injectable fillers safe for use in the cheeks include Perlane, Radiesse and fat injections.  Perlane and Radiesse will last 6-12 months. Artefill will not reabsorb, lasting for many years.  Fat injections may last for years in 2/3 of patients. Few patients will not have enough fat to harvest to augment the cheeks. Please consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in person prior to making treatment decisions.

Luis A. Cenedese, MD, FACS
New York Plastic Surgeon

Techniques for Cheek Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If a patient does not want cheek implants I strongly recommend fat grafts to augment the cheeks and improve asymmetry. I have been a strong advocate of this procedure for 25 years and  have never seen a healthy person who did not have enough donor fat.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Hollow, Sunken Cheeks Respond Well To Volumizing Fillers

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Volumizing fillers, such as Radiesse alone or Radiesse plus Perlane L work well for nonsurgical cheek augmentation, midface rejuvenation, i.e. the treatment of sunken, hollow cheeks, and for the Nonsurgical 3D Facelift, which is used pull and project the skin in order enhance facial definition and restore a more youthful triangularity to the face. The combination of Radiesse with Perlane L is my favorite for use for these indications in my Upper East Side NY practice. This particular mix, which also contains local anesthetic, confers good lift and gratifying durability.

In Israel, where I have a satellite office and where a much greater number of more robust materials have been regulatory-agency approved already for several years, my favorite combination for the above aesthetic purposes is Radiesse and Juvederm Voluma. When appropriate, Stylage XXL and Restylane SQ, two other quite robust injectable volumizers, can be added or substituted.

I am not much of a fan of Sculptra, which tends to be more expensive, does not give immediate results, and requires a series of treatments at several week intervals to achieve effect.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD
New York Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 33 reviews

Cheek Augmentation with fillers or implants

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I often find that many patients often do not understand the benefits of well placed facial implant augmentations over fillers. I provide both options in my practice and patients often opt for implant augmentation after having been treated with fillers in the past.  implants can be a one time treatment option vs. repeated injections with fillers and results are far more superior.  Implants are also can be easily removed or replaced if desired.  Fillers are good temporary treatments but implants are definitely more superior.

C. Carson Huynh, MD, DMD
Atlanta Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Best filler for sunken cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In my opinion, Radiesse would be your best choice at this time.When treating problems due to volume loss such as sunken cheeks, I will almost always use stimulatory fillers such as Radiesse or Sculptra. They are injected deeper, beneath the skin, and will generate more volume to create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. They work by stimulating your skin to produce more collagen, which is why they are so effective for problems due to volume loss, and give longer-lasting results too. Radiesse is often a better, longer lasting procedure for volume replacement than hyaluronic acid-containing fillers.

The video link below shows me injecting my wife with Radiesse into the lower cheeks, marionette lines, and jaw line!

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.4 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Sunken Cheeks and Filler vs Fat Grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

       Start with the filler to assess response and amount needed.  Almost ny filler can be argued -- Radiesse, Juvederm, Restylane could all be used.  If you like the volume increase, you can consider fat grafting for long term results.

Cheek Augmentation

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are uncomfortable using Sculptra, have low body fat, and don't want implants, I would recommend you start with a filler.  There are longer lasting fillers that allow you to see the results immediately and are reversible if needed.  Additionally, the amount of filler put in can be controlled to achieve the look you desire.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can help you achieve the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Fillers for cheeks

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If you are uncomfortable with using Sculptra to add more volume to your cheeks, I would consider using Radiesse.  Radiesse will give you a more immediate result than Sculptra, but the results will not last as long.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.