Can Fillers Be Injected Above the Tear Trough?

Can fillers be injected Above the tear trough? If so, which do you recommend? I had a bleph and need volume in the area close to my eyes. Thank you.

Doctor Answers 14

Filler Injection to the Tear Trough: Filling the hollows.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Fillers can be used to fill post-operative lower eyelid hollowness after lower eyelid blepharoplasty. Typically fat should be repositioned and not removed, but soem patients do have a significant amount which can be removed conservatively. These repositioning operations are not perfect and can benefit from fillers post-operatively. These should be injected at or above the tear trough and in the deep plane of the eyelid. I would start with a hyaluronic acid filler like Juvederm or better yet Juvederm XC which can be done just with topical anesthesia. Be conservative and layer it on gradually.

Austin Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

Correction of Lower Eyelid Hollows and the Tear Trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Following overzealous fat removal in lower lid Blepharoplasty it is very possible to cause the lower lid to have a "hollowed" look.  These periorbital hollows, as well as the tear trough, can be filled with hyaluronic acid fillers.  I suggest hyaluronic acid fillers due to their thin consistency and pliability.  That being said, I suggest finding a surgeon skilled at injecting filler in this area.  The filler will need to be placed against the orbital rim (bone).  Superficial injections can lead to contour irregularities and persistent bruising.  I would not advise injections above the tear trough as the filler may migrate into the lower lid and cause contour irregularities.  Good Luck.....Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 43 reviews

Tear trough deformity after blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hyaluronic acid fillers are safest when injected in the tear trough area directly on top of the bony rim. Any fillers injected above this area are frought with problems not the least of which are visible lumps which add another problem you didn't start out with.

Fillers for the tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, this area can be injected - by someone experienced.

Although I agree with the recommendation of using HA's, the one that is preferred in my practice is a lighter one, called Prevelle Silk.  It is less likely to lump up than either Restylane or Juvederm in that particular application.


All the best,

Fillers injected above tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes you can but you have to inject them deep because the skin is very thin and they will show.  Make sure you choose someone who specifically has experience injecting in this area as many physicians do not do this area.

Robert N. Young, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

Filler above the tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, you can place filler above the tear trough.  It is a very sensitive area and should only be done by a provider that is highly skilled in this area.  I would recommend setting up a consultation to ensure that you are a candidate.  I would use a HA product such as Juvederm or Restalyne.  They are reversible if the desired effect is not achieved.

David V. Poole, MD
Altamonte Springs Plastic Surgeon

Filler above the tear trough.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would not inject filler in that area.  The eyelid skin is super thin and injecting it above the tear trough would be injecting it either into that thin skin, or into the fat pad deep to the skin which would likely make you look worse.  Maybe some docs have had luck with the thinner fillers into the little wrinkles above the tear trough, but I have not.  I am more likely to treat that area with a light chemical peel or even a "pinch" blepharoplasty. 

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 77 reviews

Fillers and above tear trough

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

While I use a lot of fillers around the eye and tear torugh, I do not place it any higher, because it often becomes lumpy and may look like a fat pocket.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Fillers for the tear trough area (under eye)

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There are several options for filling the hollow area under your lower eyelids. Fat is a great choice, however this requires a small procedure to harvest the fat (liposuction) from one area (ex. abdomen) and transfer it to the eye area.  An easier way is to use a hyaluronic acid filler such as Restylane or Juvederm.  These fillers are temporary but can last from 6-8 months, sometimes longer.

Please consult with an experienced injector prior to having this area treated.

Best wishes,


William Bruno, MD
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 410 reviews

Is it okay to place filler above the tear trough of the lower lid?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Yes, you can treat the area above the tear trough with filler. It is a more technique sensitive area to treat given the thin tissues so you should find someone proficient in treating this area.

The hyaluronic acid products such as restylane and juvederm are a good choice given their reversibility. For a longer term solution facial fat grafting is another possibility. 

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.