Filler for Burn Scars?

I need answers about fillers for deep depressions around thighs, nose, arms, and leg. I was in house fire 7 years ago and have depressions needing to be filled. I am 34 and I need to do something for myself and boyfriend. What permanent to semi-perm filler could be used under a skin graft? Also what is a procedure to smooth out scared skin?

Doctor Answers 3

Evaluation first

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Scars particularly those from burns need a good evaluation to determine the best plan for treatment. Fillers are unlikely to provide a good long term fix.

Best Regards.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Burn scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no easy answer to your question.  There are a lot of variables involved.  The best thing for you is to consult with an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified plastic surgeon with specific skills in burn reconstruction.  You can find someone here:

Edmond A. Zingaro, MD
San Francisco Plastic Surgeon

Temporary and Permanent Facial Fillers for Burn Scars

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This is a difficult question given the paucity of a clinical examination or picture. Burn scars in general will not conform or stretch in a predictable pattern if fillers are placed underneath the skin. Nonetheless, temporary fillers may lead to infection or extrusion under the poorly vascularized tissue. I would not recommend either type of filler.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 95 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.