What Type of Fillers Needed for Augmentation of Cheeks/Nasolabial Folds (photo)?

Hi, my cheeks seem to be getting flatter and flatter and my nasolabial folds seem to be getting more pronounced, especially when I am looking down. I am wondering if experts think anything would help these areas, such as fillers, and if so, what type of fillers would work best. Thanks so much!

Doctor Answers 6

Best treatment for augmentation of cheeks

Because you have significant loss of volume in your cheeks, you would benefit most from volume replacement fillers such as Sculptra or Radiesse. Deeper stimulatory fillers such as Sculptra or Radiesse, when strategically injected in the cheeks as well as along the cheekbones and lateral face, will create a much better lifting effect for sagging skin. Radiesse can then also be injected into the nasolabial folds if necessary.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

You need a combination of several fillers at more than one session.

Unfortunately you have lost a lot of volumn in several of your facial fat compartments as well as having a deep naso-labial grove.

Typically we will use Sculptra to replace the loss of mid-facial fat.  It has the best cost/durability for this use.

We however prefer Radiesse for the support of a deep naso-labial grove.

Usually at least two sessions are needed in a face such as yours.

It works very well, but does take some ongoing maintenance as the face ages.

Dr. Mayl

Fort Lauderdale

Nathan Mayl, MD (retired)
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.3 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Sculptra and dermal filler combination

I agree with Dr. Denkler that you would be a great candidate for Sculptra. You seem to have lost alot of facial volume and this can be replaced with Sculptra. At the same treatment session you can have hyaluronic acid based filler (such as Juvederm) or Radiesse placed to provide immediate volume correction of the nasolabial folds. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 129 reviews

Sculptra is Nice for Collagen Stimulation and Deep Improvement

Sculptra placed deeply will start filling out the volume deficiencies.  Then superficial Juvederm may be placed directly and superficially into the nasolabial folds.  This combo should work very well for you. 

Keith Denkler, MD
Marin Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Augmentation for cheeks/nasolabial folds

There are a few options to restore volume to the cheek area of the face.  The surgical option would involve using implants to make the area fuller.  The non-surgical option would be using fillers.  If you want to have immediate augmentation with a single treatment session, then I would recommend Radiesse.  If you are able to come in for several treatment sessions, then I would recommend Sculptra or Artefill, as these will give you longer lasting results.  There are some physicians that may recommend fat injections as another option.   

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 18 reviews


It appears that you have a lot of volume loss in your cheeks.  I would recommend using either Sculptra or Radiesse in the areas.  Radiesse can also be injected in to the nasolabial folds as well.  

Sam Naficy, MD, FACS
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 221 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.