Tissue expander not feeling as tight anymore?

I have a tissue expander I had it filled a week ago and it felt tight. Now it doesn't feel tight and the bottom part of the expander is soft when I push on it. Is this normal

Tissue expander

either the expander is leaking a little bit or the skin is stretching out nicely. see how it goes...

Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tissue expander not as tight

Thank you for your question.   There are two possible options to explain the expander findings.   It may have a slow leak.  Unfortunately, small leaks in expanders are not terribly uncommon.   They can usually be managed by just monitoring them prior to placement of the final implant.  The other possibility is that the skin might be softening which allows the tissue expander to feel less tight.  Would discuss it with your plastic surgeon.  

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon