Is my vagina too big? (Photo)

Sometimes I feel like it pokes out more than average 18 year-old but I'm confused if surgery would help or not.

What is normal vagina

Hello Rita and thank you for your question.  Many women are concerned about the shape of their vagina, but in most cases, there is no such thing as too big, too small, etc. Many women now seek labiaplasty due to labia minora hypertrophy.  Labia minora hypertrophy is where the labia minora fall down past the labia majora.  This is a normal variant of normal but for some women it may cause discomfort when bicycling, having sexual intercourse, etc. Other women may have difficulty with hygiene or just suffer from psychological embarrassment as they don't like the appearance of their labia minora when wearing tight clothes (giving a "camel toe" appearance) or for asymmetry. In your case, I do not see anything obvious that you should be overly concerned about.  You do appear to have some asymmetry of your labia minora where it does appear more prominent superiorly towards your clitoris.  If this is of great concern to you, I recommend you seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in this area.  I hope this helps to answer your question and don't hesitate to contact us if you have further questions or concerns.

Dr. Sean Kelishadi
@sskplasticsurg on Instagram

Enlarged labia minora and clitoral hood

You probably have slightly larger/longer than average labia for an 18 year old female, but this is certainly in the range of "normal". if it bothers you, then you'd be the perfect candidate for an extended wedge labiaplasty with hood reduction. Make sure you are very very selective with this. All you have to do is look at some of the other Q&A's for labiaplasty and see disastrous results. Be selective, find the right surgeon, look at videos, photos, reviews and be willing to travel to have this done. The local GYN might offer this to you, but unless they're truly an expert, then find someone else!

Albany NY labiaplasty expert thinks your labia minora and clitoral hood are prominent

I assume your question is about your labia or loose skin, not your vagina, which is the internal canal.  The anterior third of your labia minora (the inner lips) and your clitoral hood skin are prominent or "poke out" to use your words.  While  this is a normal variant, if you don't like it, a double wedge resection type labiaplasty will reduce the loose skin.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!  If you want to know about options because this bothers you, Find a board certified plastic surgeon member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) who specializes in labiaplasty using the double wedge resection technique. Ask lots of questions, see their patients' before and after photos for confirmation that you will get what you are looking for.  Hope this helps and Best of luck.

Steven Yarinsky, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Is my vagina too big?

Thank you for your question. You are a candidate for labiaplasty. Speak with a surgeon regarding your desires and potential outcomes. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

No, but your labia are long and dark. I don't see your vagina to comment on its size.

What you see and don't like are your labia minora which protrude beyond your labia minora.  You're an excellent candidate for in-office Laser Reduction Labiaplasty under local anesthesia. You would have beautiful and natural results. You should look for a Cosmetic Gynecologist with extensive experience. See link below for advice in choosing the best surgeon for you.

Your vagina is inside of you, within your labia minora, and not visible in the photo.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Your labia appear to be well within normal range. There is nothing wrong with you, however It is not uncommon for women to have concerns over their Labia appearance or discomfort. If you wish to discuss surgical options, I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in your area. They will examine you and discuss your aesthetic goals to help you plan.

All the best

I feel like it sticks out more than it should

Thank you for your question and photos. Based on the submitted photo you appear to have normal anatomy - there is a wide variability in this area of the body that is all considered normal. That being said, if you have cosmetic concerns about this area related to size/shape, this can often be successfully addressed with a labiaplasty. I would suggest a formal consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon so your specific concerns can be gone over in detail, a physical exam be performed, and individualized recommendations be made. Good luck!

Is this normal?

Very normal. There is a little enlargement of the labia minora, which is a normal variation. If that area bothers you or is uncomfortable, you may consider labiaplasty surgery in the future but I would recommend giving it some time to decide. You can see before and after pictures of labiaplasty below but again "normal" has a wide range when it comes to this area! 

Is my vagina too big?

Thank you for your question and photograph. There is a wide variation in the size and appearance of a women's anatomy, and your vagina falls well within normal. Some women may have, or develop, enlarged or asymmetrical labia that can make exercise, sexual intercourse, or wearing certain types of clothing difficult. In these instances, a labiaplasty allows for a reduction in the size of the labia, while also making a more symmetrical pairing. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon, who could perform a physical exam, would be able to give you a more definitive opinion.

Do you need surgery?

Absolutely not... you appear entirely normal for a young female.  I can assure you that no normal considerate partner would ever criticize you for what you are and if they do, they don't deserve to be with you.  Do you have some extra minora?  A little but if it isn't impairing your intimacy or function, best to wait on this.  Can you have surgery?  Yes, but will it be worth it for assuming the costs, risks, and scarring?  Only you can answer that but from the limited appearances, I would recommend that you give this a lot of thought before jumping in.

Curtis Wong, MD