Felt Pop After Tummy Tuck?

I had a tummy tuck a week ago I felt a pop when I coughed and now my stomach is round instead of flat did I cause harm?

Tummy tuck results

The other responses are pointing you in the right direction. You probably tore the sutures used to plicate the rectus muscle fascia. See you doctor and he or she may need to repair this at a safe point in time. Good Luck! and let us know how it works out.

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

“Pop” after Tummy Tuck?

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to make the diagnosis and treatment plan for you after direct examination. It is possible that you have experienced a seroma, hematoma,   and/or a disruption of the muscle repair after the tummy tuck operation.  All of the above complications are treatable.

Muscular tension effect on a "fresh" tummy tuck.

Dear Sweetmarlene213,

I am sorry to hear about your complication.

What you have felt is mostly due to a suture pop relieving the tension from your abdominal muscle in the area that bulged.

I would encourage you to bring your case to your surgeon who will deal with it appropriately after a physical examination.

Proper revision should bring your healing back on track for your to enjoy commendable results.

Thank you for your inquiry and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Straining after tummy tuck

Sounds like you have indeed popped some of the sutures used to tighten up the muscles. These sutures are under a lot of pressure during coughing and straining. I would suggest bringing this to the attention of your surgeon who, I am sure, will deal with it surgically either immediately or in a delayed fashion. You are in no immediate danger. 

J. Brian Boyd, MD

Pop after Tummy Tuck

You may have damaged the muscle tightening sutures.  Please see your plastic surgeon for an evaluation.  Please continue wearing your compression garments that were recommended to you by your PS.  

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

Tummy Tuck Recovery

I think you've gotten good advice, but I hesitate to assume that you broke the muscle fascia repair so readily.  I have only heard of this happening on one patient (thankfully, she wasn't mine).  It seems much more likely that if a suture pulled through or broke that it was one of the wound closure stitches.  As long as you don't have an opening in the skin, then I would be less concerned.  However, you were doing something too aggressive at that moment and probably need to take it easy.

By the way, you should check with your surgeon before adhering to any of the advice you get online!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD