I Feel a Discomfort Around the Tummy Tuck Area Done 6 Years Ago

I feel discomfort after 6 years of tummy tuck, I have gained weight and feel a tightness around belly button and scar, is this normal?

Pain 6 years After a Tummy Tuck

I think that you should go to your original surgeon whomever he/she may be.  It would be hard to evaluate this problem with out a physical examination.  You should not have to live with discomfort so please get it checked out, it's what is best for you!

Tightness post tummy tuck

This is unusual.The scar tissue is probably not the culprit.The scar tissue should be mature so I wonder if there is a hernia.Best bet is go back to your surgeon and let him examine you.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

It is normal to feel a slight tightness in the skin of the tummy tuck if you do put on weight.

Thank you for your enquiry, it is normal to feel a slight tightness in the skin of the tummy tuck if you do put on weight.

Generally, its best not to put on too much weight following a tummy tuck as if this will undo some of the good work and cause discomfort such as you are noting.

I think the sensible to do would be to try to decrease your weight to that which you are happy with a feeling sustainable I think if you do this the pain is slightly to settle.

I wish you the best of luck with this.

Best wishes yours sincerely,

Adrian Richards

Plastic and Cosmetic Surgeon

Surgical Director of Aurora Clinics

Pain 6 years after a tummy tuck

Without an exam, it is difficult to say what the pain could be from.  An evaluation is necessary to determine what could be wrong.

Pain following tummy tuck

The pain this late following a tummy tuck may be concerning, or it may be nothing.  One concern is a hernia in the region of pain.  This is uncommon, but not unheard of.  I would return to your original doctor.  He/she will likely examine you at no charge and determine if there is a problem and what it is.  Generalized weight gain should not lead to pain.  Intermittent aches and pains following a tummy tuck are common for months, but not years later.  

Jason Hess, MD

New Onset of Pain 6 years after Abdominioplasty (Tummy Tuck)

Regarding:  "I Feel a Discomfort Around the Tummy Tuck Area Done 6 Years Ago
I feel discomfort after 6 years of tummy tuck, I have gained weight and feel a tightness around belly button and scar, is this normal
?"

It is highly unlikely that a Tummy Tuck which healed well would be associated with pain six years later. In my experience with hundreds of Tummy Tuck patients I have never seen it. The weight gain may contribute to it but I would recommend you be examined to get to the bottom of it.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Tightness 6 years after tummy tuck due to weight gain

On two occasions, I have noted that patients with marked weight gain (30 lbs) have experienced pain and discomfort in the central abdomen in the region of the muscle repair.

Uncommon to have pain from tummy tuck years later

It is very uncommon to have new abdominal symptoms related to your tummy tuck so many years later.  Although unlikely, scar tissue at the umbilicus could be causing tightness or tethering which could cause symptoms, but more likely an umbilical hernia could explain your symptoms.  I definitely recommend getting evaluated by your doctor. 

Amy M. Sprole, MD
Wichita Plastic Surgeon

Abdominal pain 6 years after tummy tuck?

I'm not sure your current abdominal pain has any relationship to your prior tummy tuck, since it's been 6 years since that surgery. However, you should be evaluated, since pain is a way of letting you know something's not right.  You may have a hernia, as the others here have suggested.  Go back to your plastic surgeon for evaluation.  Best wishes!

Carmen Kavali, MD

Discomfort around the Belly Button 6 years after Tummy Tuck is not normal

Feeling tightness and discomfort around your belly button and tummy tuck incision this long after surgery is not normal.  You should strongly consider seeing your original plastic surgeon to get this examined.  Make sure you get checked out for a possible hernia, or if just your recent weight gain is putting undue pressure on your incision. 

Roy Kim, MD