Week and a Half After Primary Rhino Surgery and I See the Results I Want Already. Will My Nose Shrink?

Week and a half since surgery and I see results. They are good... but instead of expecting my nose to be big and swollen.. It's actually the nose I want. (big change to what I used to have) I'm scared it will get smaller.. The tip could be an itty bit better but I don't want it any smaller..? My tip and nostrils are pretty much only swollen. I feel like I've already achieved my goal really.. Should I have anything to worry about? It's only a week and a half in...

Doctor Answers 7

Happy with Rhino 1.5 Weeks Out #nosejob

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You can expect about 95% of the swelling to go down at about 6 weeks and the remaining 5% will take up to a year. If you are happy now I think it will only get better. Just hang in for several more weeks and you will have a good idea of where things are.

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 54 reviews

1.5 weeks after rhinoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Hello, and glad to hear you are happy with your result! It is still soon after your surgery and you have some healing to do. Post-op swelling can vary from patient to patient, and depends on the following: Thickness of the patient's skin, whether the procedure was a revision, whether the procedure was open or closed, and whether or not tip work was performed. Enjoy the results of your surgery, and I would recommend speaking with your surgeon regarding any immediate post-operative concerns. The final result may not be evident for 18-24 months following your procedure. Thank you, and good luck with the rest of your recovery!

Paul S. Nassif, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 49 reviews

Rhinoplasty at ten days

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


No you should not have anything to worry about if it looks good now. Not all patients have a lot of swelling post surgery and typically the tip and nostril area swelling will dissipate in the months to come. Most of my patients are thrilled with their noses when the splint comes off. A few patients will have some increased swelling a few days after the splint is off however it may be mild depending on their skin type and the amount of work that was done.  In my patients who travel from out of state I often take their post operative photographs at day seven and they may see slightly better results as time goes on however many patients have already achieved the result they were looking for and are quite happy. The tip is typically the last area of swelling to reduce so you should be in good shape! Enjoy!! Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Rhinoplasty at ten days

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

If your rhinoplasty results look good at ten days then that is great!  Perhaps not as much was done as with other noses. Only time will tell if it gets smaller.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.2 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

10 Days after Rhinoplasty and Already Good Results

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  If you already have good results at 10 days after rhinoplasty you should be happy.  If the rhinoplasty was minimal or done closed, there may not be much swelling that needs to go down.  I see some of my patients at 2 to 3 weeks to take pictures, because they have very little swelling remaining.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

It takes time for the final result

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It takes up to a year to see the final rhinoplasty result. It is best to give the nose some time. It is very encouraging that you are already happy with the results.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early Rhinoplasty Result

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The swelling varies a lot from patient to patient.  I would not worry at this point. Most surgeons today will maintain enough support under the skin that the shape does not change dramatically just becomes more refined. 

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.