I am a woman born with no boobs. CAN I develope boobs with the same medicine they give a man whose becoming a woman? (photo)

I was born with no boobs I have nipples and a little bump but not even a training works on me. I did have 3 children 2 of them girls and both of them have large boobs one daughter is a D size and the other is a DD size. I have a male friend who represents as a woman and has started the steps to look the part. She was given something and she now has size E boobs. I dont want anything big im just 40 years old now and am tired of looking like a freak. Men are interested until they see me naked.

CAN I develop boobs?

Sorry, but there are no drugs, creams, herbs... that will increase breast size safely/significantly/predictably.  Best wishes. 

Hormone-induced breast growth?

I must agree with my colleagues that your breasts are unlikely to respond to hormonal manipulations, and that this could actually be dangerous in the long term. Breast hypoplasia is the most common indication for the use of implants for augmentation. Many patients with little or no development can achieve a very soft, natural look with sub-muscular silicone gel implants. I would discuss this option with an experienced plastic surgeon in your local area.

Michael F. Bohley, MD

I am a woman born with no boobs. CAN I develope boobs with the same medicine they give a man whose becoming a woman?

Thank you for your question and your very honest, and insightful, description of what you been experiencing. As others have said before, I don't think that hormones would cause any increase in your breast size. Given your description of your breast, it sounds do not have a significant amount of breast tissue and in this situation I typically placed a contoured (anatomic) breast implant. The implant is shaped like a teardrop and helps give size and shape to women with very little breast tissue. Make sure to see board-certified plastic surgeons. The recovery after surgery is notably straightforward and most women are back to day-to-day activities after 24 hours.

Stimulating breast development

Thank you for asking about your breast development.

• Men are given estrogens - but they only work if the breast tissue will respond to them.
  • Your condition suggests that your breasts are not estrogen-responsive and will not enlarge with hormones.
  • You will have a predictable and pretty result with small implants.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Growth

Since you have had children, you hormones are probably fairly normal. Giving you more estrogen will probably not do much. During your pregnancy , your body made much more estrogen to support that pregnancy. Your breast tissue just did not respond, and probably will still not respond. Your best choice will probably still be implants. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Enlargement Options

As others have stated, a family history of breast cancer would be a concern. As well shifting your hormones could have many other effects on your system. You could discuss this further with primary care Doctor or Endocrinologist. If you are interested at all it could be informative and helpful for you to meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss breast augmentation. Many women who have underdeveloped breasts, minimal breast tissue or tuberous breast constriction find that this is the most effective way to address the issue. A huge variety of sizes/projections are available and a natural, proportionate look is the goal for many women.

All the best

Larger breasts with medicine

What you are talking about is the giving of estrogens which will stimulate the natural breast bud behind the nipple and areola to enlarge. This medication seems safe in men and doesn't have the same oncologic considerations as it does in women. I would recommend that you be seen by an endocrinologist to discuss the pros and cons of this option. If not breast implants and fat grafts both are proven technologies to enlarge small breasts. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

You ask a very good question that has rarely come up before.  My concern would be the risk of stimulation of breast cancer in a female receiving high-dose estrogen in doses comparable to what a male transgender patient receives.  I would ask your internist to discuss this with an endocrinology colleague to get a well informed opinion and would certainly shy away if you have any family history of breast cancer.

In reality your best option may be to have breast implants placed since this is more effective and probably safer than a course of hormones that you would need to maintain over a long period of time.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD