Is Bellafill a good and safe filler?

Bellafill is an FDA filler for acne scars.  However, it is a PERMANENT filler which means that absolute care must be used in injecting this product since it cannot be dissolved.  Best, Dr. Green

Hello. Thank you for your question. Bellafill is a very safe filler that provides excellent results.  Bellafill is an FDA-approved permanent filler that is used for the reduction of lines around the nasolabial folds.  We wish you the best of luck!

Dr. Fernau and his staff

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill and Results

Bellafill is injected differently than other fillers; less over time and then it builds collagen naturally. It is not an immediate fill like other fillers. Bellafill is more permanent than other fillers and thus it requires meticulous injection technique and someone skilled and experienced. Some physicians do not use this product for those reasons. I use a significant amount of this product and find it very useful and beneficial for patients. Best, Dr. Emer

Is Bellafill a Good and Safe Filler

This is a very good question because there are a lot of myths out there about Bellafill. The short answer is that Bellafill is very safe and an excellent filler.
The longer answer is that the FDA 5 year studies show that Bellafill had less complications and a higher satisfaction rate than all of the other fillers. In addition, Bellafill was still working great a 5 years, while the other fillers had lost their volume. While Bellafill is classified as a filler, it really is like a fat transfer because in the end the result is your own tissue and not a filler. It is also much more predictable than fat. The biggest problem with Bellafill is that is being used by many injectors who either want to over sell it or use it in inappropriate ways (suggesting 10 plus syringes for the temples and forehead when the patient’s problem is around their mouth or under their eyes) or they do not have experience with it and use it the way they would use the other fillers and this can cause problems.

I have added a video about filler safety as well as a web reference for you where you can find information and lots of before and after photos.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Is Bellafill a good and safe filler?

Bellafill is a good and safe filler when used correctly and performed by an experienced injector.  As with all fillers, the results are dependent on the individual being treated and the treating physician.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thanks for your question. Bellafill is an excellent and safe filler, in fact it has the longest safety data by formal study of any filler on the market. The microspheres in it have been used in the medical field for more than 60 yeare. Bellafill has been marketed since about 2007 but it's predecessors Arteplast and Artecol date back to the 1990's.
A pre treatment skin test is available to make sure you are not sensitive to the bovine source collagen portion of the filler. Bellafill should NOT be used in the tear troughs or lips. Elsewhere it is as safe as any other filler. Most important is that you choose an EXPERIENCED injector.
Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician